Chapter 24: Our Feelings, Part 1

Hi there! I just wanted to say thank you, dear readers! I can't believe this story's gotten over 5K views, 300+ votes, and 50+ comments! Though, I must apologize that I don't often reply to comments. I would really like to be more active and engage with the community. Anyhow, I deeply appreciate your continued support for as long as this story continues!

________

"I'm sorry, Lucy." Natsu pulled back.

"...Natsu?"

Natsu averted his gaze, unable to face her. "I don't... feel the same way."

"..."

It was as if a bomb had been set off in Lucy's mind, clouding over her thoughts.

It was as if a string was snapped in her heart, filling her chest with lacerating pains.

It was as if the distance to him had suddenly become unreachable.

"What...?" Lucy took a few steps back, losing her sense of balance. Her pupils had fully diminished as his words passed through her ears.

"I'm sorry, Lucy." Natsu apologized once more, forcing the words out of his throat. "I... don't love you the same way you love me."

"..." Tears started to fill her vision, causing it to blur. Her senses were growing... heavy.

"Why...?" Lucy barely voiced out, unable to contain her tears. "Why...?"

"Lucy." Natsu straightened his posture and maintained eye contact. "You're such a special person in my life. I really love you. A lot."

"B-But..." Lucy began staring down at her feet, numbness setting in to her body.

"But if you were to ask me whether I loved you romantically... I... think I don't." Natsu clenched his fists. "I really enjoyed our date. It was so much fun, being able to spend time with you." He took a few steps closer. "It's just like," He took a deep breath, "like all the other times we hung out."

"..." Lucy's shoulders began trembling.

"It's always fun being with you... and that has never changed." Natsu hung his head down. "And this date... it didn't feel any different to me."

"..." Lucy felt it was getting difficult to breathe, just hearing his response.

"But I'm grateful, Lucy! You made time to go on a date with me. This has really helped me to understand my feelings..." Natsu gripped the fabric around his chest, his hands trembling at what he was about to say next.

"It's helped me... realize my feelings for someone."

The tears began streaming down her face like a relentless waterfall.

"Lucy..." Natsu's heart tightened, seeing Lucy cry. He took a step forward, wanting to comfort her.

"Don't." Placing a palm in front of him, Lucy whispered through her tears.

"But Lucy-"

"Just don't!" Lucy's arms trembled. She willed herself to face Natsu, to face him as her friend. "Turn around."

Natsu did as she asked, turning around. His back was facing her. Using his dragon hearing, all he could hear were her cries of pain. Soon, he heard her footsteps getting closer and closer. He felt shaking arms wrap around his chest from behind, pulling him in tightly.

"I love the way you're always so honest and straightforward."

"I love the way you value your friends like family."