Chapter 18: Figuring Feelings

"I confessed to Natsu."

"... Huh?" Everyone's eyes widened in shock.

Wendy spat out her tea, nearly choking on it. She coughed violently, trying to calm herself down.

"Woah, easy there, Wendy." Gray slapped her back a few times with moderate pressure.

"Arhk, hack!" Wendy coughed a few more times before finally calming herself down. She rubbed her mouth with her hand, shocked by what she just heard with her own ears. She confessed to Natsu?!

"S-Sorry, Wendy. I... didn't expect it to be that surprising." Lucy gently squeezed her shoulder, giving her an apologetic look.

"N-No, it's fine, ahah..." Wendy chuckled awkwardly. She wasn't sure how to feel about this.

"You... confessed to Natsu? Wow." Gray said with awe in his voice. It's about damn time.

Juvia experienced a mixture of happiness and shock within herself. She never expected this to be the problem here, and second, she doesn't have a love rival anymore for her Gray! Now Gray only belongs to me!

"This is... certainly unexpected, Lucy. How well did Natsu... take it?" Erza asked, still baffled by the reveal. I wasn't expecting this to happen so soon.

"... It's complicated." Lucy sighed deeply. "It's just... we haven't talked to each other since last night."

"Last night? Did you... confess to him after the Fairy Night?" It seems like the perfect opportunity. Erza thought.

"... Yeah." Lucy nodded.

Wendy gazed downwards in deep thought. Last night? That must mean... she guessed Natsu must have met up with Lucy after he accompanied her back to the dorm.

"I don't know... maybe I was too persistent." Lucy put both her arms on the table, twiddling her thumbs. "I'm so... frustrated at myself."

"It's going to be okay." Erza reassured her. "I'm sure Natsu will come to understand you if you have a heart-to-heart conversation with him."

"I don't know... after what happened last night, I'm not sure if I can just... talk to him." Lucy said.

"Well, considering this is Natsu..." Gray added, putting a hand on his chin. "I'm sure he'll sweep this under the rug. He doesn't really like to make a big deal out of things."

"Gray." Erza called in a strict tone. "That would be really insensitive of him, to just cast away Lucy's feelings. I know how carefree he can be, but this is a serious matter."

"I'm not saying he's insensitive." Gray looked to Erza. "I'm saying this is not as difficult as Lucy's making it out to be." Gray was speaking this out, as Natsu's friend, as Natsu's brother, as someone who's known him since childhood.

"I see. I suppose you have a fair point." Erza nodded.

"I think Gray is right, Lucy." Wendy cradled Lucy's shoulder. "I'm sure... Natsu would talk it out with you if you wanted. I'm sure he's worried about you, too."

"Wendy..." Erza's eyes widened. She wondered what Wendy was feeling inside her heart. I'm glad she's comforting Lucy... but she must be feeling conflicted inside.

"... Yeah. We've been through so much together..." Lucy said with a weak smile. A few tears travelled across her cheeks. "I... don't want to lose him. I don't want to lose what we have..."

"That won't happen, Lucy. Don't worry." Erza cradled her hand. "I'm sure that as he enters through that door, he's going to run to yo-"

The doors were slowly pushed open, creaking as it did. It alerted the members to the entrance. It was none other than...