Chapter 17: And so, it begins.

The Sun had risen over the horizon, signaling the start of the next day after the Harvest Festival. The curtains were spread open, allowing the light rays to pass through the windows, brightening the entire room.

"Mmmh..." The blue-haired girl shifted in her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes, regaining awareness of her surroundings. She felt a comfortable warmth envelope her body. Craving this warmth, she instinctively tightened the scarf around her little body and snuggled close against it.

"Good morning, Wendy." A voice greeted her.

Wendy stretched out her arms and yawned. "Morning, Carla..."

"How was your sleep?" Carla said in a hushed voice.

"It was... nice." Wendy pushed herself into a sitting position. She glanced downwards, realizing she had Natsu's scarf wrapped around her. Ah, right... he lent me his scarf last night. She pressed the scarf against her nose, taking in his comforting scent. Carla smiled, noticing her cheeks were dyed a faint red.

Carla sat on the bed. "That's Natsu's scarf, isn't it?" She asked, folding her arms.

"Yeah, he gave it to me last night." Wendy replied.

"I see. That's really kind of him." Carla raised her eyebrows.

Wendy glanced at the scarf. "It's really... comfortable." Sleeping with his scarf on, it filled her with a sense of safety and calmness.

"I see." I wonder if they've grown closer last night. Carla thought to herself. It was nice, seeing this side of Wendy. She had been worried about her mood ever since Lucy invited Natsu to the Harvest Festival. In a strange turn of events, Natsu asked Wendy to dance for the Fairy Night. She knew Natsu wasn't the kind of person who was interested in dancing, yet he still asked Wendy out to dance. Well, I'm glad he did. Wendy must have been overjoyed.

"How was the dance with him last night?" Carla asked, wondering how she felt about it.

"E-Eh? You... saw us?"

"Of course. You and Natsu were practically the center of attention."

We were? Wendy wasn't really aware of her surroundings during the dance. All her senses were focused on Natsu, and Natsu only. The way he guided her hands to his touch, the way he guided her feet to the music, the way he caused her heart to flutter at every step. If everyone really did watch... Wendy wrapped herself in his scarf to hide her flushed face.

"No need to be so shy, child. It was a really wonderful sight."

"Muuu... It feels so embarrassing..." She said in a flustered voice.

Carla giggled at her dragon slayer's reaction. Oh, Wendy...

"Well, stay in bed all you like. I'm sure yesterday must have been tiring."

"Wait, what time is it?" Wendy rubbed her eyes.

"Oh, it's just a few hours before noon." Carla answered.

"Huh?" Wendy froze, her eyes shot open. How long did I...?

"Don't worry, child. It was a busy event last night. I didn't want to wake you up. Besides, you were sleeping really soundly. I didn't really want to bother you."

Wendy quickly glanced at the clock, then swiped away her blanket. She lifted her feet off the bed on to the ground.

"Wendy? Are you in a hurry for something?"

"Why didn't you wake me up?!" Wendy dashed towards her wardrobe, taking her signature green dress and necessities for bath time.

"Did you... have something to do today?" Carla asked.