Chapter 8: Mission Complete!

The sun was slowly rising into the sky, illuminating the forests of Nightglades with its morning rays. Birds could be heard chirping. The waterfalls and rivers still continued on its course. Somewhere in these forests were the two dragon slayers cuddling and sleeping together under the shade of trees.

"Mhmm..." Wendy slowly rubbed her eyes, opening them up. Everything looked rather blurry. She slowly blinked a few times to clear her vision. She noticed the environment looked rather bright and vibrant. Slowly, she shifted her head upwards away from Natsu's chest and saw his sleeping face. She had her arms wrapped around Natsu, while his right arm was wrapped around her.

Ah, it's already morning.

She was quite hesitant to move away. She was quite comfortable lying down like this with Natsu. He loved how his arm was wrapped around her little body. She tightened her arms around him, snuggling her head against his chest. It was so warm and comfortable. She gazed at his sleeping face, observing it in greater detail. She paid attention to how his chest faintly rose and sink, the way his lips parted away as he breathed softly. It was a side of Natsu she rarely saw. He looked so peaceful and calm. As if pulling her in, her hand moved towards his pink hair and gently stroked it. Deep inside, she secretly hoped he didn't show this side of him to anyone else. Only to her. Her cheeks slightly rose in heat. She didn't know if this meant anything to Natsu, but being able to cuddle in his arms, just the two of them alone together.... It meant the world to her.

W-What are you thinking about, Wendy?

Wendy shook her head, trying to rid herself of these needy thoughts. She shouldn't give in to the temptation of his warmth. It was so tantalizingly inviting, to close her eyes and sleep again in his embrace. She knew they had to wake up. They were still on a mission, after all. They also had to find the others. After collecting her thoughts and energy, she reluctantly poked Natsu's soft cheeks.

"Natsu, wake up." She gently spoke in a hushed voice.

"Mhmm..." He shifted a bit.

"Wake up. It's already morning." She poked his cheeks again.

Natsu slowly opened his eyes, which met with Wendy's. He stood silent for a bit, regaining his awareness.

"Morning, sleepyhead." Wendy giggled, caressing his face.

Natsu rubbed his eyes a bit. "Oh... Good morning, Wendy." Natsu groggily greeted her and yawned. "How are you feeling? Did you sleep well?" He asked weakly.

"It was the best!" Wendy exclaimed. "I haven't slept this good in a while." She wasn't going to tell him it was because she was sleeping in his embrace, so close to him. Her cheeks slightly blushed at the thought.

"Oh, really?" Natsu was amused. "I'm happy to hear that. I've slept... enough." Natsu paused halfway as he answered. He tried stretching both his arms but groaned a bit. He forgot his left arm's injury.

"Take it easy, Natsu. You're still hurt." Wendy whispered. She raised herself into a sitting position. Her body felt lighter than before. She wiggled her fingers and feet, feeling out her movements. She tried slowly stretching out her left leg. It still hurt, but not as much as yesterday. Being the Sky Dragon Slayer, she naturally had regenerative abilities, so most of her minor wounds had been healed up. She placed her palms on her broken leg and activated her healing powers. Her palms glowed a powerful light blue and poured magic, spreading calmness throughout her leg. Slowly, she felt the fractures in her left leg repair itself.

"Nice, it seems you've recovered." Natsu smiled and pushed himself into a sitting position.

"Yeah, I feel much better now." Wendy stretched out her left leg again. There was barely any pain there now. Still, she had to give herself a few days for her leg to naturally recover completely. "Well then..." She then faced Natsu and strongly patted the spot besides her.