Chapter 49.5-JERZA: To Love freely

A bonus chapter dedicated to Erza and Jellal for the Jerza fans! Wouldn't be fair of me to end the story since Gray and Juvia have a chapter for them.

Enjoy reading!

_____

With joyful music and many stalls running active, it was a good start to the highly anticipated Fireworks Festival.

"There are so many stalls to check out," Erza looked around the crowd, "it's quite a grand festival."

"I've never been to festivals much." Jellal said, looking off in the distance.

"Why is that?"

"I... don't know." He cast his gaze down. "I guess I could never find it in myself to enjoy things that much."

"That's not true." Erza held his arm to comfort him. "You came to see me during Fairy Night. You ‌know how to enjoy yourself."

"Is that so?" he chuckled softly. Maybe she's right about that...

"Then let's change that today." She gave an encouraging smile. "Let's forget about everything else for a moment and enjoy ourselves to the fullest."

"Enjoy ourselves to the fullest..." he pondered those words. Words that sounded so foreign to him.

"I believe you're more than capable of doing so." She said in a reassuring tone.

"... I must say, I'm grateful to you, Erza." He sighed faintly. "To be honest with you, I was... hesitant to come along on the trip."

"I figured as much." Erza nodded. I was afraid he'd turn me down... but I'm glad I was proven wrong.

"I didn't know if I could truly give myself time," he bowed his head, "time away from chasing darkness in every corner of the world."

"Jellal..."

"But seeing Natsu, Wendy, Gray, Juvia, and even you," his lips curved into a smile, "seeing you all enjoying the vacation has brightened my spirits. It encouraged me to be... softer on myself."

"As you should." Erza held his hand. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

"And... if I may be so selfish," he gazed into her eyes, "I would like... to grow closer to you."

"... I feel the same way, Jellal." She gave a gentle smile. "I'm selfish as well, don't you think? I basically dragged you out into the middle of the sea."

"Haha, I won't deny that." He chuckled. "But every moment spent with you, they've all been so meaningful to me."

"I'm glad to hear that." Erza said. "Let's make many more of these meaningful moments, shall we?"

"Of course." He squeezed her hand to reassure himself. There weren't many opportunities in his life that allowed him to bond with Erza, but this resort vacation has been one of his greatest blessings.

I'll cherish tonight dearly.

"So, what shall we start with?" Erza asked, walking with him. "Want to grab a snack or play a game? I leave the choice to you."

"That's a lot of pressure on my shoulders."

"I have to bring you out of your shell somehow." Erza winked.

"Well..." Jellal looked at each of the stalls. "Why don't we get something to eat first?"

"Great." Erza wrapped her arm around his. A faint blush rose in her cheeks, which Jellal would notice if he paid attention.