17

Harry

It's around 8 in the morning the following day when the police arrive to mine and Amelia's apartment. After a small debate yesterday, we decided to call Christian in order to get in contact with his brother, who is a New York City police officer. I wasn't even aware that Christian had a brother, but I'm grateful that he does because I feel a little bit safer going into this process knowing that we already have someone on our side.

I can't even begin to describe how unbelievably uncomfortable I am knowing that Justin and Shannon have been listening in on mine and Amelia's private life. The amount of personal and intimate moments we've shared right in front of that fucking fake succulent makes me want to vomit, knowing that it was all recorded.

I'm not entirely sure what's worse - knowing that Justin probably overheard every detail of my imminent proposal to Amelia or the fact that he probably overheard us having sex. It didn't happen often, but I can think of a handful of times where Amelia and I got a bit frisky in the kitchen or living room. The thought of someone hearing that or recording it awakens a kind of anger that I haven't felt before, and Justin better be prepared if I ever come face to face with him.

"Harry," a voice says to me. I blink a couple of times, coming out of my fury-induced trance, and see Amelia standing in front of me. "Are you okay?"

Weakly, I nod, not wanting her to know how badly I'm hurting on the inside. I barely slept last night because of how stressed and anxious I've been. I know whatever happened has happened and we're going to move forward from here, but I have no idea what else Justin knows and what he could release.

What if he's planning to sell a story on how I was - am - planning to propose to Amelia? Is that how I want her to find out? Am I supposed to tell her now so it doesn't hurt later?

There's so much going through my brain right now but I can't talk about any of it with Amelia, not because I'm trying to be secretive in a bad way but because I'd like to salvage at least a little bit of the proposal that I had planned.

"I'm okay," I half-lie. "Just a bit stressed. I - uh - I zoned out," I add, and give an apologizing smile to the two police officers in front of me.

Isaiah, the lead officer on our case, is a spitting image of his brother, Christian. Their noses are identical, as well as their eye color and shape, but the only main difference is that Isaiah is built a little bigger. He's taller and more muscular, most likely from training.

Isaiah's partner, Jacob, isn't quite as rugged as he is, however. Jacob is rather scrawny and wears an ill fitting uniform that hangs loose on him. He also seems a little apprehensive whenever he speaks to Amelia or I which makes me question his compatibility for this case, but I don't comment on it. Not right in front of him, anyways.

"No problem," Isaiah tells me with a warm smile. "So I just want to start by asking you two a couple of questions to get some basic information. Then we'll go more in depth and figure out the best course of action to take, okay?"

"Okay," Amelia says before I can reply. "We can sit in the living room, if you'd like. Might be more comfortable,"

Isaiah agrees and the four of us meander into the next room over, Amelia and I sitting together on the couch while Isaiah and Jacob take up two chairs in front of us.

"So Christian told me a little bit of what happened but I'd like to start from the beginning, if that's alright with you," Isaiah says. He pulls a pen and small notepad out of his pocket, and flips to a clean page. "Just start with how you found the bug and where you think it came from,"

I reach over and clasp Amelia's hand in mine, to which she desperately clings to. I can tell she's nervous and I'm doing a shit job at comforting her because of my own stress, but I'm trying. It's not much, but I'm going what I can to try and comfort her.