30

I literally had to rewrite this chapter because I wasn't happy with it lol

...

Amelia

It's later than I expected by the time I get home from work. I was planning on asking my boss if I could go home early to edit the final draft of my novel, but I wound up getting so engrossed in it when I started it at work that I didn't realize the day was over by the time I looked on the clock. I had cursed to myself and packed up quickly, followed by sending Harry a text to let him know I was on my way home.

I'm exhausted by the time I step out of the elevator. Part of me just wants to crawl into bed, but I know that I can't, especially with the sound of Harry and Jeffrey's voices sounding throughout the apartment.

I lazily kick off my shoes by the elevator, and hang up my light coat on a hook Harry had put on the wall recently. I almost laugh at the irony of my placing my jacket, that I'm pretty sure I bought at a thrift store a couple years ago, next to Harry's, which is custom Gucci. 

I sigh to myself and readjust my purse over my shoulder as I meander through the apartment, looking for Harry and Jeffrey. I hear them very clearly, frantically talking in a hushed tone, but I have no idea where they are. My confusion only increases when I enter mine and Harry's bedroom and notice the bathroom door slightly ajar. 

Why are they in the bathroom together? And why does it sound like they're arguing? I also swear I hear some kind of grunting, but before I can let my imagination get the best of me, I pad over to the door and softly push it open. 

I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but certainly not the scene in front of me. 

Harry sits on the closed toilet lid, grimacing and cursing under his breath while Jeffrey stands over him, examining his ear with...a needle in his hand?

...is he trying to pierce it??

"What's going on?" I ask, keeping my voice down so I don't startle the both of them. 

Harry and Jeffrey's eyes snap over to me, both of them looking like they've just been caught with their hand in the cookie jar. 

"Oh hey, Amelia. It's good to see you again," Jeffrey says, unmoving from his position. "How's everything going?" 

"It's nice to see you, too," I slowly respond, narrowing my eyes slightly at him and Harry. "And everything is fine. Just taking each day step-by-step. How's everything going with you?"

Jeffrey smiles. 

"Everything is well! Thanks for letting me come over by the way. I told Harry I'd treat you both to dinner if you'd like. Figured we could bring it in, though, since this one's had a few to drink," he says. 

I raise my eyebrows. 

"Oh has he?" I ask. I cross my arms over my chest, while Harry sheepishly smiles at me. He doesn't look drunk by any means, but his cheeks are definitely flushed and his eyes are the faintest shade of pink.

I don't care about Harry drinking. I'm not upset over that at all, but I'm just confused as to what I walked into. 

"Dinner sounds great, by the way," I add to Jeffrey. "You're always welcome here. But before we make plans for tonight,  I do want to know what the hell is going on right now."

Jeffrey sighs and finally releases Harry's ear and steps away from him. Sure enough, my eyes glance down to his hand and see a piercing needle grasped in between his fingers. It was hard to make out before at the angle he was at while hovering over Harry, but now I can clearly see it.