20.Nekomata

(Y/n) pov
The journey to the town was going to take a few days we had one available demon slayer rest place but we wouldn't reach it for tonight so we made camp in the forest, we sat by the fire eating before everyone said there goodnight heading to sleep but I couldn't sleep "Sigh, Blue stay here I'm going to get some air" I told Blue going for a walk away from the group before I made it far I could hear humming or singing "I mean can't hurt to check" I quickly went back and grabbed my sword just in case it was a demon trap, I got closer to the sound which I identified as a female voice singing, I hid behind a tree and tried getting a better look when I spotted Jirou by herself singing right in front of a river "Sigh, no need for panic" I let go of my sword and waited, I didn't want to disturb her and I had to admit it was a nice voice she had 'She' s never sang before, she shy about it?' I wondered looking at the peaceful setting no noise except the quiet stream and Jirou' s voice it seemed almost like in one of those fantasies, I was content waiting there but fate had other idea as a random twig was broken by a squirrel alerting Jirou as she wiped around to see me.
"Ahh (y/n) wh-wh-what you doing here?" she asked me standing up straight face red from embarrassment.
"Oh well I couldn't sleep so I decided some fresh air would be nice" I told her trying to play it cool.
"Oh yeah me too hahaha..... How much of that did you see?" she asked me
"OK you caught me, long enough to hear that nice voice"
"Yo-you tg-think so?"
"Yeah I bet if you weren't a demon slayer you'd make a killing as a singing performer"
I said sitting down beside her
"Ah well I don't know I'm n-not spe-cial or anyth-ing"
I laughed off her embarrassment and just sat with her basking in the silence of the moment.

Jirou's pov
'She's so close.... I could, I could just-'
*Screeech*my train of thought shut off as (y/n) stood up alerted by a loud ear hearing screech.
"Do you think there close?" she didn't respond instead she darted down towards where the sound came from "Hey don't wait up!!" I chased after her immediately hoping she wasn't rushing straight into danger when I came upon a clearing as (y/n) stood there, I quickly ran over to her "Hey, hey what is wrong with you.... What are you looking at?"
"Over there" she said pointing ahead to a collapsed tree with something wriggling underneath it we approached it slowly and found the lower half of a cat with the top half crushed under the tree.
"Oh that's awful" I said when I heard something scratching at the tree.
"Come on help me lift it" (y/n) said grabbing onto the tree "Breathing techniques come on" I helped and with both our efforts it budged letting me see the source of the noise being a kitten stuck "You need to hold it a second Jirou"
"But..." I didn't get a choice as she let go to try and get the cat "Hurry I can't hold it"
"Just a bit further come here little one" I couldn't hold it any longer feeling my grip loose when it slipped "(Y/n)!!!" I shouted but I didn't drop as I turned to my side to see Mikasa holding it.
"What are you two doing?" she asked me as (y/n) popped back out holding the kitten.
"Saving an adorable lil' baby" she said showing Mikasa the kitten as Mikasa let go.
"You risked your life for a cat?...... Sigh, you need to -" She stopped talking when the cat hissed at her until she stopped.
"So what do you think happened?" I asked (y/n) as she bounced the cat in her arms
"The screech must have been from the mother she was probably trying to warn the poor thing but got crushed in the act....."

We left the scene taking the kit with us back to camp where Shinobu was sat waiting "Wanna tell me about it?" she asked referring to the kitten.
"Can we keep her?" (y/n) asked Shinobu.
"We're not running a day ca-"
"Let's call her snow because of her white fur"
"What no don't name-"
"That's a nice name" Mikasa said agreeing with (y/n) it didn't even matter what Shinobu said at this point.
After that we all went back to our bed (y/n) leaving Blue who didn't have to sleep to watch Snow, I layed there looking at the star's thinking of how I almost had a moment with her and drifted of to sleep with that lingering thought.

No pov
When morning finally came you woke up and packed everything surprised at finding Snow already snuggled up to Blue even holding your mask in its tail. 'That was quick' You thought with a smile on your face, when everyone woke up and packed you all continued onward to your destination finally reaching the twin where the demon was spotted.
"Remember this demon can reportedly use breath styles so be on alert we still don't know their demon art" Shinobu said to everyone as you walked through town as you walked you noticed Jirou sneaking glances at you.
"But why are we here now the demon won't come out in the daytime"Mikasa pointed out
"I know, there's a demon slayer rest spot here,we'll wait there until nightfall" she explained to us as we arrived at said building.

Further in the town were nobody payed attention to the demon sat alone in a dark room holding onto a blade preparing for when you arrived "The don't learn, they don't learn, they don't learn" he rambled swinging back and forth "They come they die, they come they die.... Hahhahaooohhh why?" he said as his laughter slowly turned to sobs and wails of torment.

End
--------
Another short one don't worry it'll pick up pace soon just needed to make one got a big thing for the story soon.
Original draft was about a wolf so I looked up what wolf are found in Japan and the look kinda put me off soooo I went to the fox because of their folklore in Japan.