Chapter Three

Cassian

I blinked in shock, gaping at the tiny female who lounged there, so casually challenging the Night Court - even accidentally. When we awoke, none of us could sense any movement from the room we'd placed her in, and had assumed she was still resting and recovering.

Yet, here she sat, completely at ease - even faced with five fae centuries older and impossibly stronger than her. And -

Was that a dagger? Where the fuck had she gotten a dagger?

The sight of her had struck even Rhys dumb, the sheer brazenness of her actions momentarily overwhelming.

If I were being completely honest with myself, I'd have to admit the sight of her fully awake and brimming with fire was half of what held me frozen to my spot. Last night, I thought she'd been gorgeous - in that delicate, easily breakable way that humans were. But now?

Fuck.

Her body, despite her relaxed posture, practically vibrated with a dangerous edge that should be impossible for a human - one I found much too appealing. Her turquoise eyes were rimmed with gold, and they danced like they held a living flame, enchanting me even as they speared my High Lord with a cutting stare.

She was a fucking goddess.

Unfortunately, my perusal of the stunning female was halted when she suddenly vaulted up, landing on the table to launch a dagger directly at Rhys's head. Reacting out of instinct, I lunged forward, unsheathing my sword and barely managing to knock the weapon from its path before it sliced into the top of his ear.

By the Cauldron she was fast. Another second and I would have been too late. At least I could be thankful she didn't possess the accuracy of the fae.

No matter how impressed I was by her, I couldn't allow that kind of insult, that blatant threat to my High Lord to stand.

I darted towards her, sending a blast of power to knock her off her feet.

My eyes widened as she effortlessly spun to avoid the strike from my Siphons, and then flipped to meet my approaching attack - actively moving towards me rather than diving away.

In a move almost too fast to track, she struck out - delivering a sharp jab to the sensitive tendons of my wrist -

With enough force and precision that I actually dropped my sword - something that hadn't happened in a hundred years. Then she was spinning again -

And a split second later she was behind me, two daggers pulled from thin air -

One pressed to my throat with enough force I knew she wouldn't hesitate to split it, the other pressed to the crease of my thigh. I had to force myself not to flinch at the fact she so boldly held a weapon threatening my cock.

Which was twitching with traitorous interest, considering I'd just been bested by a mere human. I should feel utter shame, so why was I ... intrigued?

Ignoring me entirely, the small female fixed those captivating eyes on my High Lord, who stood gaping alongside the rest of my court.

Her voice held only a cold, icy rage as she said, "If you want to keep your head, I'd suggest staying the hell out of mine."

What the fuck? Rhysand had tried to access her mind, and she'd felt it?

Not even the majority of the fae could tell when Rhys went diving into their minds, a human being able to was simply unheard of.

By the Mother - who was this female?

Rhysand's slow blink was his only outward indication of shock, quickly donning his arrogant High Lord persona like a cloak. Sticking his hands in the front pockets of his trousers, he looked the female over with predatory intent - as he typically would.