Chapter Twenty-Nine

Azriel

It had only been five days since Aelin and Rhysand left for the Summer Court, but it was still five days too long since I had seen my princess in person. My shadows had reported everything to me, and I knew they would be returning shortly, but I was on a tight lease. Cassian was even worse, pacing around the House of Wind as I stood stoically to the side. Rowan was annoyingly calm, but I could sense the thread of tension within him after being separated from Aelin so soon after solidifying their mating bond.

I wonder how he would deal with the reality of sharing Aelin with her other mates. I knew that he had told her he was fine with it, but now that she and Rhysand had confirmed their bond, it was something he would have to face sooner rather than later. Although happy for my brother, I was actively attempting to not think about what my shadows had relayed about what occurred in the guest suites of the Summer Court.

The one relief was that Aelin had actually verbally acknowledged that Cassian and I were her other two mates. I didn't want to think about how either of us would have reacted were that not true.

My heart rate picked up as Rhysand, Amren and Aelin appeared in the foyer. I allowed myself a moment to soak in the sight of my princess. The reports from my shadows had tided me over, but looking at her now I took in my first real breath of air since she left. My shadows sang in delight as she looked around the room, her delicate features striking me dumb once again. The light glinted off of her high cheekbones, turquoise eyes sparkling in the sun. Her golden hair was unbound, resting on her elegant shoulders, framing the gauzy silver dress that she wore. She was an embodiment of the stars, and a testament to the glory of the Night Court.

Rowan strode forward, breaking me out of my reverie. He paused, ever so slightly, catching gazes with Rhysand, who had tensed at the male's sudden movement. I froze, determined to be prepared for what happened next. Thankfully, Rhys soon relaxed, and nodded at Rowan ever so slightly. That interaction said more than enough, and I nearly sighed in relief. Rowan continued on before engulfing Aelin in a bone-crushing embrace.

My heart tugged when I saw a faint silver sheen to Aelin's eyes. This separation had not been easy on either of them.

I barely heard Rowan grumble, "Why do you cry, Fireheart?"

Aelin snorted, "You smell so rutting bad - did you not bathe the entire time I was gone?"

Rowan drew back from their embrace, smiling more freely than I had ever seen him. Mirth danced in his eyes, "Should I even bring up our journey to Mistward? My eyes watered the entire time. You're lucky I didn't dumb you in the nearest trough."

Cassian's looked between them, evidently fascinated by their conversation. He opened his mouth to interject, but before he could I spoke up, "I assume since you are in such good spirits, the trip was successful?"

Aelin cut her gaze towards me and rolled her eyes. "Like you don't know shadow-man," she sassed at me. I quirked my lips but refused to comment further. I couldn't even be surprised that she had sensed my shadows tracking her. She drew a heavily wrapped packed out of a satchel, "One half of the book of breathings has been acquired."

The rooms seemed to still as Aelin pulled out the heavy metal box and placed it on the table. The air pulsed with a deadly power, and Rhysand grimaced. "Tarquin wasn't able to open it for us. We have to hope that Aelin will be able to."

Aelin stood before the book, taking in a deep lungful of air before placing her hand on the contraption.

Hello, assassin, it purred at her. My eyebrows shot up, and we all took an unconscious step forward, as if to protect Aelin from this ancient, wicked thing.