Chapter Twenty-Seven

Aelin

After I stalked inside the palace, Tarquin quickly caught up, leading us through the hallways of shell-flecked walls and walkways, with a myriad of windows overlooking the bay and the city. Eventually he led us to a vaulted room with an oak table surrounded by green glass walls and delicate chandeliers. He had narrowed down his entourage to only two advisors, so either they were the most important or he wanted to match the size of our group.

Tarquin seated himself between myself and Rhysand. A bold move, considering he knew both of our power and was well aware of my firm alliance with the Night Court. Of course, he wasn't aware that the High Lord was also my mate, so he couldn't be blamed for that faux pas. Even so, I saw Rhys tense ever so slightly from the corner of my vision. Once we were all settled, the final introductions were made.

"Aelin, Your Majesty, allow me to introduce you to my cousins, Cresseida, Princess of Adriata, and Varian, her younger brother, the Captain of my guard," Tarquin sent a warning glance towards them both, as if reminding to behave, and my lips quirked in amusement. They greeted me politely in return, but I could sense their hesitance. Kudos to them.

"A pleasure, I'm sure." I simpered at them both. Cresseida looked me over with a cunning that I would have appreciated if her gaze had not then immediately fixated on Rhysand. I refused to bristle at her attention, but fuck if I wouldn't be keeping a close eye on the female. Varian seemed to have his interest fixed on Amren, whether because she posed a threat or genuine interest I was unsure.

Tarquin continued, either oblivious to or ignoring the growing tension in the room, "We appreciate you visiting our court, Aelin. I know that we are all allied against the growing threat of Hybern and appreciate you sharing your knowledge of defeating the Valg."

Cresseida snorted, drawing my gaze, "If that is indeed, what you offer."

Tarquin shot her a warning glance, but we both ignored her. "I'm not quite sure what it is you are trying to imply, princess," my voice sickly sweet and full of challenge.

She hummed in response, "It is just rather convenient that you would arrive, from another realm if we are to believe that, just in time to offer invaluable counsel ahead of our coming conflict."

Rhysand and Amren had gone completely still. Thankfully, they allowed my full control on how to handle this situation.

I debated briefly on the best approach before realizing I would have to once again, reveal something I would rather not, before replying, "There are things that are public knowledge, and things that are not." I shoot Tarquin a fake grateful look before continuing, "And I thank your High Lord for his discretion, but I am not an ally of the Valg. They took everything from me, and when my kingdom went head to head against them I was eight years old. I awoke in my parents bed covered in their blood after they were brutally murdered along with the rest of my court." I felt Rhys's jolt of pain and sympathy through the bond but steadfastly ignored it, knowing it was the first time he had learned this little detail of my past. "So the next time you insinuate that I could somehow be supporting their cause, I will take that as a personal attack and not the misinterpretation I'm sure this was. I'm sure your High Lord has already informed you of my little disagreement with the Autumn Court."

Cresseida looked appropriately mortified and mumbled her apologies, finally looking at me with the level of fear and respect that was deserved. I nodded in approval before settling back in my seat.

Tarquin jut in, seeming to be in a hurry to bring the tension to an end, "We have much more to discuss, Your Majesty. Tonight I have taken the liberty of throwing a party for your pleasure on my barge in the bay. After that, we can discuss the details of what is necessary to rid our realms of the plague. Please forgive its princess for being overly protective. The last few decades have been difficult on us all."