Chapter Twenty-Three

Rowan

I may have made a bit of a miscalculation.

Actually, I was positive that I had. As soon as I had shoved Aelin behind me and snarled at Tarquin, the room behind me became utterly silent. Tarquin gazed at me with a shocked and stricken expression while I tried desperately to calm my feral urge to rip his spine from his body. In my rage at witnessing another male put his lips, his godsdamned lips, on my mate, I had forgotten that Aelin always had a reason behind each and every action.

That was evident in the fiery rage burning behind her stunning turquoise eyes. And even though it was beyond clear that she was furious with me, part of me - a part that was larger than I wanted to admit - crowed with pleasure and pride and having my mate's undivided focus.

I would like to say that being in a strange realm had me on edge, but in all honesty ever since I found out that Aelin was my mate, I had been balancing on the slightest edge of a sharp blade. Seeing another male touching her, while surrounded by the most powerful fae in this realm had tipped the balance far enough that even my centuries of carefully-honed control couldn't stop all rational thought from fleeing my mind. Frankly, I was lucky that I hadn't stooped to straight-up murder.

But even the primal pleasure of defending my mate couldn't stop the utter terror that flooded my veins at the pure fury evident in Aelin's gaze. The thought that this could have irreparably damaged my relationship with her was a shot of ice spearing my heart. I had already fucked up enough in Mistward, and I was already facing too much competition from the males at the Night Court. I couldn't, wouldn't fuck things up further with my misplaced possessiveness.

I had to fix this. Fast.

Desperately, I looked around the room, projecting a plea for help towards the Night Court. Azriel was stoic as always, although a small glint of understanding was alight in his gaze. Mor looked utterly amused, already exchanging a glance with Aelin. Cassian disregarded me entirely, eyes focused on Tarquin, clearly fighting a territorial rage of his own. That, although understandable, almost had me snarling again. I swallowed down the urge before at last turning my desperate gaze towards Rhysand, who was smirking at me ever so slightly. He raised an eyebrow, looking completely at ease, as if asking me how I was going to fix this total fuck-up.

Internally groaning, I turned back to Tarquin. I took a respectful step back, clearing my throat, "My apologies." I paused, racking my brains for what exactly I could do to fix this. "Aelin is my..." Rhysand's eyebrow raised further at my hesitation, likely wondering if I was about to expose our mate bond to this group of males. If only I could. I continued, "..Charge while in this realm. I reacted to a perceived threat before fully analyzing the situation. I meant no disrespect."

A rather inelegant statement, but one Tarquin seemed to accept with a slow nod of his head. Thankfully, Aelin's silver tongue was there to save the day as she smoothly cut in, "As you can clearly see Tarquin, I am exceptionally used to posturing from idiotic fae males, like I said. I am more than happy to leave the Buzzard at the Night Court when I am able to visit your lovely lands to prohibit his misguided actions in service of his Queen."

Tarquin let out a low laugh, eyes dancing as he looked over my mate. I couldn't even summon the rage that would normally accompany such a move from another male, so blatantly flirtatious and suggestive. I felt as though I was underwater, because one glance at Aelin's illustrious face told me all I needed to know. She truly had no idea how much she meant to me. Every word she had just said was true. All she saw from my protective action was that I was defending my dominance against another males.

Worse than that - she thought my defense of her was due to my previous allegiance to Maeve, because Maeve wanted her alive. Not me. Never me. She couldn't even fathom the idea that I had done this for her, and her alone. I had destroyed any chance of her wanting me, and I don't think there was anything I could do to fix it.