Chapter Eighteen

Rhysand

I swallowed roughly as we entered the meeting space. I had wrapped myself in my High Lord persona before winnowing to the Dawn Court, carefully donning my cruel, unaffected mask of utter power. How ironic that I was no longer the most powerful individual in attendance. I could only hope that that little tidbit stayed concealed for now.

I didn't know if I was prepared to have Aelin exposed to the other Lords without a solid definition of our relationship, but I would have to deal with it. Wryly, I felt that I understood Rowan's stance when he had been exposed to my court a little more. Cauldron knew I would react ferally if any of these males expressed an interest in Aelin, and I had only known her for a short while.

My court and I entered the meeting space, with Helion, Kallias and Thesan already in attendance. I swallowed a growl as all of their eyes instantly went to Aelin, slowing sweeping up and down her luscious figure. I wished I could blame them, but she looked etherial in the deep green, gem studded gown. It showcased her every curve and the instant I had seen her in it I wanted nothing more than to strip it off of her and trace every inch of her skin with my tongue.

Thesan welcomed us, and the rest of my court bowed respectfully to the other High Lords, with the exception of Aelin. She simply gave each male a once over, hummed disinterestedly, and returned to observing the room around us. I almost smirked at her utter irreverence, secretly thrilled she was acting more like her usual fiery self. The past few days had been more difficult than I would like to admit. Shock was clear in all of their faces as they realized that this tiny human female did not seem cowed by them, but pleasantries insisted we waiting for the rest of the Lords to undergo introductions.

Helion prowled forward, clad in his High Lord persona, looking like the sun personified. I wanted to roll my eyes at his theatrics, but I tensed as he eyed Aelin with a predatory interest. He may be one of my oldest friends, but I would not hesitate to gut him if he so much as flinched in her direction. Aelin stood strong against his clear perusal, head slightly cocked as if taking in a vaguely boring painting, not breaking eye contact for a single second.

His eyes were steady and piercing on Aelin as he asked her quietly, not that all of us couldn't hear exactly what he was saying, "Does Rhysand know what you are?"

She smirked at him, all sharp edges that embedded in your skin like shards of broken glass, and drawled back, "If you mean beautiful and clever, then yes-I think he does."

Amusement gleamed in his eyes and he opened his mouth the reply, but was cut off with the arrival of the other High Lords. Tarquin and his entourage entered, followed quickly by Beron and all of his disgusting sons, and Tamlin and Lucien leisurely entered behind them, the Autumn Court and Lucien very careful not to make eye contact. I tensed as all of the males took in Aelin with an avid interest, the gorgeous, delicate, and apparently human female a beacon for their eyes. Eris in particular looked at her hungrily, shooting her a cocky smirk as he leisurely took in her figure. I could tell Cassian and Azriel were becoming more incensed by the second and quickly took control of the moment.

Glancing towards Thesan, I gestured towards the table, "Shall we get started, then?" He nodded and all the courts took their seats. It did not pass anyone's notice that Aelin sat to my right, a position of high regard in this setting. She lounged in the chair, looking utterly relaxed to the casual observer.

Thesan, as host, began. "Rhysand, you have called this meeting. Now typically, I would pass this to you to explain what is so urgent that we meet, but I find myself intrigued. Why, exactly, has a human female accompanied you?"

I smirked as Aelin drawled, "You might find, High Lord, that females of all kind prefer to be spoken to, rather than spoken about."

Thesan blinked, along with the other lords, and I had to hide a sinful smile. Oh, I was looking forward to Aelin bringing these males down a peg or two. He paused for a minute, utterly baffled that a human would speak to him without a hint of the fear or reverence so common among their kind in this realm. When I made no move to intervene, he dipped his head towards her, acknowledging her words, "My apologies. Would you care to introduce yourself?"