Chapter Eleven

Rowan

I stalked after Aelin determinedly. I hadn't gotten the chance to speak with her alone and I needed her to know that I was with her. I felt in my bones that these males wanted more from her than to help get her home. I couldn't allow them to take my mate from me. I knew that I had failed her but I vowed to myself that it would never happen again. I knew Aelin sensed my presence and she turned, sighing, at the doorway to her room.

"What do you want Whitethorn?" She asked flatly. I flinched at the name, not buzzard, not Rowan, but Whitethorn. I never thought the day would come when I would miss the obnoxious nickname, but here we are.

"I need to talk to you," I growled. "We are in a strange land, we need to work on getting home."

She rolled her eyes at me. "Way ahead of you there. Don't worry I'll get you back to your precious Queen in one piece," she snarled.

"She's not - I am no longer blood sworn. It faded when I moved between worlds," I told her quietly.

Her eyes widened for a split second before she snarked, "Although I am sure you are desperate to return and fix that egregious mistake, there is nothing that can be done at the moment and I am exhausted."

Frustrated, I growled "That's not what I meant Aelin, I-"

She cut me off. "Frankly I don't care at the moment. I need to sleep before any more responsibility lands on my shoulders. Goodnight, Whitehorn." She turned and tried to slam the door on me, but I caught the edge with my fingers before it shut.

"Can I-" I hesitated, hating how desperate I sounded. I cleared my throat. "As I am still in charge of you, I will stay with you to ensure your safety, just like Mistward." There, that sounded better, right?

I barely caught it as Aelin grumbled, "Sure ensure my safety for Maeve." I winced. Louder she said, "Do what you want, you always do." With that she stalked off into the bathroom to get ready for bed.

Sighing, I prepared myself to sleep and settled into the bed. That could have gone better. I had no idea how to bridge the gap that I had created through my own stubbornness and idiocy. It clearly wasn't the time to share what Mala had revealed. I would just have to keep my distance and prove to her that I was here for her, that I would do anything for her. Of course I would have to do it quickly enough so that none of these night court males gained an attachment. It was clear to see in the way they looked at her that they all desired her, and I had seen her gaze at them appreciatively enough, even throughout the heavy emotions of the past day. It was clear I would have to stake my claim. Even when a small part of me bitterly wondered if they weren't better for her than I was. None of them balked at her raw display of power, where I had spent months hammering into her that it was the only worthwhile piece of her, even if it was the furthest thing from the truth. But I had been blood sworn. I couldn't get attached. I had to try and warn her away from me. Now none of that mattered. I was free from Maeve and selfishly I was glad we had this time away from our world. It would give us time to hopefully settle into the new dynamic I was determined to create without outside threats from Maeve or Adarlan.

I was interrupted from my inner musings when Aelin entered. My thoughts froze. She was in the tinniest of nightgowns, a delicate black silk held up with two flimsy straps and lace that accentuated her deliciously curvy figure. The nightgown fell the just below her ass, exposing the gorgeously long toned lengths of her legs. Swallowing roughly I uttered out, tone gravely, "What is that?"

Smirking, Aelin raised an eyebrow and said, "It's a nightgown Rowan, surely you've seen one before?"

My eyes were fixed on the tiny straps that kept the tempting garment in place. "Not like that I haven't. Where is the rest of it?"

"This is the rest of it." Slowly drawing her finger up her thigh to the hem of the nightgown as she came to bed. "The night court does have the most exquisite style doesn't it?"

Forcing my eyes to the ceiling I forced out "It's certainly different."

Almost sounding disappointed, Aelin replied "Well at least one of us is a fan." She turned over, mumbled a goodnight and all too quickly her breathing deepened and evened out.

30 minutes later, I was still staring at the ceiling, fists clenching the sheets and wrestling with my centuries of self control. The image of Aelin in that gods damned nightgown was going to be seared into my brain.

Shit.

I was in such deep, unending shit.

Aelin

The next morning the Night Court, Rowan and I sat around the breakfast table. The Night Court took this time to fill us in on some additional information on their realm, from the High Lords to the current tension with the King of Hybern. At his mention, something niggled in the back of my mind that I promised myself I would examine later in further detail. Overall, the atmosphere was jovial and cautiously open. It seemed as though we were to truly be allies, potentially even outside of my bargain with their High Lord.

How different it was from when I incapacitated and threatened Cassian at this very table. Although looking at the trouble brimming in his eyes I could tell he had the same thoughts brewing. Except Rowan was here as well. I wish I could get control over how I felt about the male. I hated him and yet it was incredibly disappointing how he reacted to my nightgown. Sure he had seemed shocked, but apparently that had nothing to do with my rather incredible figure. Either way it was best I get over my foolish infatuation with the male. When we return home he will run back to his queen, blood sworn or not, and I will be left on my own as usual. A familiar desolation filled my being when suddenly comfort and concern was felt through my new tattoo. Snapping my eyes up I noticed Rhysand watching me and narrowed my eyes.

His eyes seemed to gleam with predatory delight under my watch, and he delicately cleared his throat. "Aelin, I have a rather strange request." I narrowed my eyes at him and gestured for him to continue. "As we work out our next steps to get you back to your realm, I think that it would be, beneficial, to see a display of your skills."

I rose my eyebrow at that, "Me pounding poor puppy over there into submission wasn't enough for you?" Cassian chuckled darkly at that. Eyes glinting he said, "I'm ready for a rematch any time little warrior. I could still show you a thing or two the next time we tango." A slight shiver came over my body as I glanced over at him, his eyes glinting dangerously at the idea of all that he could show me. I had a feeling he wasn't talking about engaging in the training ring.

Rhys interrupted and I shot Cassian a wink that had his eyes widening and heat flaring within them before turning towards the High Lord. "No, your fighting skills were quite impressive. However, as an assassin I am sure you had to be well versed in sneaking into places unseen?" I had no idea where he was going with this.

"Yes?" I answered cautiously. His eyes gleamed as he replied, "Well while we wait for Amren to advise us on what to do next, how do you feel about demonstrating that skill? I have an item that I have been missing for many years, and I believe this to be an excellent time to retrieve it."

"And what is this item, exactly?" I drawled.

He smirked back at me. "My mother's ring. I'm afraid it has a terrible sentimental value and it is past time that it is back in my possession," he purred. I didn't miss the sharp looks the rest of the night court shot his way, but there was nothing but feral amusement in his eyes. This could prove to be entertaining. I smirked back at him. "Well then I suppose it is time for a demonstration."