Chapter Thirty Four

Aelin

The wind roared around Rhys and me as he winnowed from the skies above Velaris. He dropped us onto the balcony of the House of Wind, flanked by Az, Cass and Mor, Rowan swooping in behind them as he transformed back from his hawk form. He had barely touched down before he was pulling me from Rhysand's arms, despite the latter's grumbled protest, carefully examining me for any potential injuries.

I huffed a laugh at him, "I'm fine Buzzard. No one even touched me."

He just glared at me, mumbling under his breath about me putting myself at risk. Before I could snark back at him, Cassian barreled between us, snatching me up in a bone-crushing embrace. "That was fantastic, little warrior! I've never seen Keir so terrified. It was a good look on him."

I laughed at him, slapping him on his shoulders until he reluctantly released me. I raised an eyebrow at Mor, "I'd apologize, but frankly I'm not sorry."

She snorted at me, eyes shining with gratitude and understanding. Stating simply, "The bastard deserves everything he gets."

I nodded at her, our love and friendship glowing bright between us. I was never letting this magnificent female go. One day, I would be by her side as she tore her father's head clean from his body. All of this passed between us without a word, and I knew she would be at my side until the end.

Rhysand turned to his spymaster, giving me and Mor another moment. "You retrieved it?"

Az nodded solemnly, pulling an innocuous looking orb from the shadows. "They were none the wiser."

Rhys huffed out a heavy breath, nodding with his gaze locked on the artifact. He gingerly took it from Azriel before turning to the rest of the court. "Then it is time for me to capture the truth of Velaris. Mor, please alert the mortal Queens that we have obtained their proof."

Mor nodded and slipped away without another word. My gaze was fixed on Rhysand, knowing he was tormenting himself with the knowledge that we would soon be exposing Velaris and all of its people for the first time since the creation of the Court of Dreams. I stepped forward, "I'll go with you to capture Velaris."

"No."

I startled, expecting that Rhysand would need my support and being unprepared for his quick rebuttal. Seeing this, he quickly strode forward, capturing my face in one large palm. I settled slightly, comforted by the pure love and gratitude evident in his gaze. He ran a gentle caress across the shields to my mind, speaking to me directly, This is something I need to do myself, my goddess. I could not imagine this path of action without your unwavering support, but I have played the unmitigated villain towards the outside world for far too long. It is time for me to confront who I am, and who I am determined to be for all people, not just those in Velaris. I've spent too long hiding.

I nodded, understanding the need to confront your own demons intimately. I captured his hand in my own, pouring all my love and adoration for him into that simple action. Whatever you need, my love. I will always be here, and I have always seen you for exactly who you are. It is time for the rest of the world to see the wondrous, kind male that I know.

He nodded, gratitude clear to see. Slowly, he stepped back, sucking in a fortifying breath before turning and striding towards the edge of the balcony. He spared me one last look before unfurling his wings and launching himself into the skies above Velaris.

My gut clenched with worry. I knew he would be fine, but I understood better than anyone how difficult it is to confront your demons when you felt unworthy. No matter how worthy I knew my mate was, this would not be easy for him. I turned back to the rest of my males, gnawing at the inside of my cheek.