Chapter Twenty-Eight

Rhysand

I felt Aelin stiffen at my words. Her body, which moments before had been pliant and warm, was frozen beneath my touch. I carefully pulled away, cursing internally and the icy blankness that now covered her features.

"How long have you known?" Even her voice was flat, emotionless.

"I suspected for a while. I thought I felt something snap into place when you revealed your fae form for the first time, but I didn't know for sure until Helion asked if any of us were one of your mates. Then it all made sense."

I almost smiled as Aelin cursed under her breath, grumbling about gossipy, busybody fae males, but I was too tense. My heart was in my throat as I rushed to continue.

"I was going to tell you. I wanted to talk to you. At first I didn't understand how I could be feeling that connection and yet so were three other males, but then After Helion's revelation there was never time. First you bonded with Rowan and then we had to come here. Yesterday, you looked so perfect, so regal, but so obviously dressed for Tarquin." I swallowed roughly at the memory. "I knew I couldn't look at you for too long. I would either give everything away or I would have ripped out Tarquin's throat for staring at you like he wanted to make you his Queen. I figured that wouldn't have been beneficial to your plans here."

That earned me a slight quirk of her lips as she took me in, the rest of her face still unreadable. "So you know. You know about the others?"

I nodded earnestly, pouring what I hoped was reassurance and acceptance down our bond, "I know."

She eyed me critically, continuing in a dispassionate tone, "So you know that not only is your mate a damaged, cowardly monster, but that you will have to share her with three other males?"

Rage, hot and swift roared within me. I firmly captured her face between my hands, not allowing her to escape my gaze, "What I know," I growled, "Is that I have been blessed with the strongest, fiercest, bravest and most beautiful female I have ever encountered as my mate. What I know is that I am thankful to even be allowed in her presence, let alone her life or her heart. I know that you have gone through far too many horrors in your short life and the fact that you are still here, still fighting for those less capable than you is more than enough proof of your purity and strength. I will do everything in my power to protect and serve you even if you don't accept me as your mate. What I know is that I love you, and I wouldn't care if you had a hundred mates, as long as I was one of them."

Her breath caught, her eyes lining with the slightest glimpse of silver, "You love me?"

I chuckled, sweeping my thumb across her silken cheek, "I think I've loved you ever since you had the gall to sit down at a table full of High Fae in a tiny nightgown and throw a dagger at my head in only your human skin."

She snorted at the memory, cautiously bringing up her hand to rest on my jaw, "And you don't feel cheated about having to share me?"

The first true tremors of hope began in my chest, "I would have spent centuries as Amarantha's whore just for the chance of being your mate for a single day, no matter who else gets that honor. As long as they deserve you."

"You deserve me Rhys, and I am honored to have you as one of my mates," my breath hitched as she managed to assuage my insecurity so neatly. I leaned closer, determined to move on to other more pleasurable activities, but froze when Aelin pulled back, turning away from me.

I stood there dumbly as she rummaged around in a bag she had been carrying, not sure what her hesitation was now. She turned back to face me again, holding something behind her back. Her expression was just tentative enough to have me on edge, but then she began speaking. "I know that you have different customs here, and it's probably not quite what you were hoping for, but here."