Chapter Twenty-One

Cassian

After a restless night of sleep, we all convened in the dining hall of the Dawn Court. I wrapped my arrogant warrior's mask tightly around me, but from the sly glances my court was throwing me, I knew it wasn't working. I had already promised my brothers that I would wait for Aelin to come to us, even if it slowly killed me. And I would. I was determined not to be the one who messed this up.

It was just -

The idea that Aelin knew who her mates were and hadn't said a word. That had to mean she wasn't happy, wasn't accepting of them. Frankly I didn't know which was worse, that I wasn't one of her mates, or that I was, and she didn't want me. I'd only known her for a short period of time, but she had already managed to take complete control of the beating organ in my chest. She owned me, and she didn't even know it. Hell, even the idea of sharing her didn't bother me. My first and only concern was Aelin's happiness. If she wanted multiple mates, then she'd get them. But if they hurt her, I would gut them without a second thought.

Ever since she had landed, quite literally, in the middle of our court, I had been entranced. Her inner fire called to me the moment she opened her beautiful, irreverent mouth. Even though she was the most stunning female I had ever seen, it was her soul, her inner, untamable fierceness that tugged on every fibre of my being. A life without her would be a shadow of the existence I could have with her at my side. A shadow of the existence that I had just barely begun to experience.

Which is why the idea that she didn't want me struck so deeply. I wasn't blind, I knew she had been dealt a rough hand in life, and believe it or not I wasn't arrogant enough to think her reluctance was entirely because of me. But still, the thought that I wasn't good enough for her was a fatal poison slowly seeping through my veins.

As the bastard Illyrian born low in their fucked up version of a society, I had been told I was worthless from the time I could walk. The only reason I had been able to claw my way out of that hell-hole was because of the unfathomable power that somehow pulsed through my veins. But claw out I did. If there was one thing I knew how to do, it was to claim what others thought was too good for the likes of me. I had claimed my position as the General of The Night Court through blood and pain. I'd be damned if I didn't put up the fight of my life to claim my little warrior, my queen.

I watched her across the table, as she expertly volleyed back and forth with the other High Lords and their entourages. Her sharp wit and silver tongue were on clear display and I had to almost swallow my tongue to keep down my growl as far too many of the males' eyes lit with interest, and almost adoration on Tarquin's behalf. She had easily become the main focus of the meal, but I couldn't even be thankful for the lack of tension she brought, I was too on edge from where I stood with her.

Finally, the plates were cleared and we settled in for a more serious discussion. Although all the courts, even the Autumn Court however tentatively, had pledged their armies, I knew this was my time to lead as the general of the Night Court. We had to figure out the logistics of this conflict if we had even a prayer of being victorious. Part of me sat up a little straighter, excited at the thought of showing off my expertise in front of my little warrior. I had to prove that I was a worthwhile mate somehow.

Unfortunately, before we could get into the specifics of our armies, Kallias spoke up. Clearing his throat, he said, "Ahead of discussing the upcoming conflict, I think it would be best if we received clarity on a particular item." He eyed Aelin warily before turning to Thesan, "Thesan, yesterday you mentioned something about Aelin being related to the Prythian royalty of old. I would personally like to know more. It seems either fortuitous or suspicious that one descended from our legends should appear now."

I felt a growl growing in my throat at the perceived threat in his word and my eyes narrowed at Kallias. He may be our ally but if he made a singular move against Aelin I would rip out his spine without a single regret. The rest of my court must have looked similarly threatening because his eyes widened imperceptibly and he raised his hands in a placating manner, saying softly "I mean no disrespect, but I do think it is important for us to examine all angles of this situation."

Aelin snorted at that, seeming to be perfectly at ease, "Disrespect or no, you do raise a fair point." She turned her piercing gaze towards Thesan, "What do you know of my family and our history in this realm? I do believe the time for secrets has passed." I almost laughed out loud in agony at that little statement. Sure, secrets were to be revealed from everyone but her, who hoarded them like the sweets she favored so much.

Thesan nodded solemnly before saying, "All I know is based on the history that my court has collected, but I can share that from our knowledge, Pyrthian was once a part of a larger realm, Eirlea." My eyes cut to Aelin, whose next breath was ever so slightly deeper than the previous. I doubted anyone else had noticed, but I knew hearing the name of her realm had an impact.

Thesan continued without suspecting a thing, "At the height of Eirlea, the realm was ruled by the Ashvyer family. They were renowned for holding power beyond what any fae could imagine. It was peaceful for a thousand years before an inky blackness began encroaching on territories. For a few hundred years it was held at bay by the King, whose name was lost in time. The only thing we know was that he held unfathomable fire power, and when he passed the realm was never the same. The realm almost seemed to split, land mass and hundreds of fae disappearing almost overnight. The next recorded history acknowledges that the Ashvyer family had disappeared along with the inky blackness. Historians have theorized what occurred but the truth of the matter is that no one really knows."

The various High Lords and their entourages were contemplative, and Aelin's face was a calculated blankness that told me more than any expression. She was scheming. Then she cleared her throat.

"I think it's time we brought out our prisoner for another chat."

Aelin

My head spun as I digested what Thesan had just announced. Objectively, it made sense. The Bone Carver had already told me that Eirlea and Prythian were once one, but of course the slimy little fuck couldn't clue me in to my family's role in the history. The Gods had seriously managed to fuck over both realms.

Shaking free of my thoughts, I jerked a nod towards Rhysand, who magicked our little Valg prisoner free from whatever dungeon they had stashed him in. I shot a warning look towards the gathered High Lords, informing them without words that I would be the one to deal with the interrogation. Although they all had several centuries on me, I doubted any of the rivaled the skills I had mastered during my time as an assassin.

With half a thought, I heated the air around the prisoner, making him start to sweat uncomfortably. I slowly walked towards him, casually picking at my nails with a wickedly sharp dagger. He glared at me, pure fury burning in the depths of his eyes. Leaning casually against the wall near him, I purred, "Your little puppet master must be displeased you've lost him his ally in the fae realm."

He snarled, but grit his teeth, determined not to say anything additional. He knew as well as I did that when Hybern learned what he'd revealed to me, he would be good as dead.

Unperturbed, I pushed onward. "Of course, he'll be even more unhappy to learn exactly who you shared his little plans with." I snorted out a dry laugh, "Although at this point, he should be used to losing to the Ashryver's. You'd think the first time we kicked his sorry ass out of this realm would have been enough of a hint not to come back looking for more."

This finally got a reaction as the Valg growled at me, "My King may have failed to take this pathetic excuse for a realm the first time, but now that the power has been split you don't stand a chance." He smiled menacingly at me as he continued, "Now that the necessary knowledge has been lost and divided, even you don't stand a chance against the might of my King, Firebringer."

Well, fuck. Looks like we would need the Book of Breathings much sooner than anticipated.