Chapter Thirty Eight

Cassian

Even hours later, I was still in awe after witnessing my mate's complete destruction of the Illyrians. It had taken everything in me not to toss her over my shoulder right then and drag her into the house to properly demonstrate the appreciation I had for my stunning female. I had been inappropriately hard during the entire ordeal, so much so that Mor had smacked the back of my head when she caught a whiff of my scent. Worth it.

Watching your mate utterly decimate cocky warriors was sexy, sue me. Frankly, Rhysand should be impressed I was able to maintain my stoic General of the Night Court persona at all. The only thing on my mind was how to get my mate onto the nearest flat surface. Hell, it didn't even need to be flat really.

Sadly, since she loves to undermine my plans, Aelin was determined to implement a training plan for the girls then and there. Immediately after Devlon completed the oath and shakily stood to his feet, so terrified I thought he might just drop dead right there, she had struck. She'd directed a menacing smile towards the Lord, and demanded they begin planning. He offered no protestations or avoidance, clearly resigned to his fate.

Together with Rhysand and Rowan, a strict schedule and program was determined, both to improve the overall training and actually integrate the girls' training into the camp's priorities. Additional tactics to encourage and invite females into the training program were to be created, based on feedback directly from the girls. Devlon would now be responsible for providing monthly progress reports, sent directly to the inner circle. He personally sent messengers to the other camps, no doubt to stress the importance of cooperation and spread the word of Aelin's terrifying display. Aelin also roped in the two warriors she had been glaring at in the beginning of the confrontation, forcing them to mend and create training weaponry specifically made for Illyrian females.

While still reluctant, the Illyrians followed Aelin's word to the letter. They watched her with a strange mixture of awe and fear, but she had made her point. Already, they treated her with more respect and deference than they had ever given me. Hell, I think they were more scared of her than Rhys at this point.

All but the girls of course. The level of pure hero worship in their eyes when they looked at her was nearly overwhelming, especially when she took the time to personally show them a few training maneuvers. When she spoke softly to them about Prythian's history of female Valkyries, something I had no idea Aelin was even aware of, a few of them looked so overwhelmed with excitement and hope that I thought they might cry. I had to turn away before my heart burst completely free of my chest.

Then the memory of Aelin referring to herself as a monster burned bright in my mind, almost making me scoff out loud. She might be powerful, and immensely fierce, but the only remotely monstrous thing about her was how she had been treated in her past.

Speaking of the past, I catch Rhys's eye and sigh in relief when he nods in acknowledgement. Knowing that we would be heading to the mountains, I had run my tentative plan by Rhys the day before, wanting to take advantage of our time in the mountain to show something to my mate. Finally, it was time.

I stalked over to where she was playfully demonstrating attacks on a stock-still Rowan, who almost managed to look annoyed. But even the stoic warrior-prince couldn't hide the gleam of adoration in his eyes when he looked at our mate. The girls surrounding them were giggling in pure delight, a wondrous sound that graced this mountain much too infrequently.

I watched for a moment, shaking my head and laughing under my breath. "Tormenting poor Bird-Boy over there, Little Warrior?" I asked, completely ignoring the glare the other male shot my way.

Better get used to it, Rowan. We now officially share a mate, you can't get rid of me now, and I've only just gotten started.

Aelin straightened, her demeanor lighthearted in a way I had never truly seen before. The organ in my chest beat harder at the sight. Her eyes sparkled with mirth when she snarked, "I've got to keep you males in line somehow." Shooting a wink to the surrounding girls, she added on with mock-seriousness, "It's very important for males to know all the ways a female can and will kill them."