Chapter Sixteen

Aelin 

I knew I had things to do - vital things, terrible things - but when the day dawned, bright and clear, I couldn't bring myself to act upon them. Not when Cassian had so earnestly asked for a day to see the city, to learn more about my life here.

As despite all the vital, terrible things I needed to accomplish, I could sacrifice one day. One day to spend with my mates, to allow them a level of insight I had never allowed of anyone else.

Especially after the absolute shitshow that was my mates meeting Chaol.

I suppose I should at least be thankful they didn't inflict bodily harm, but still - they had to make him piss himself in terror?

It'd be amusing if it wasn't so irritating, but for fuck's sake, I was trying to prove that all fae weren't monsters - not the other way around.

Though I wouldn't lie and say I didn't enjoy the apology that came in the form of the four of them taking turns lavishing my body with attention for hours on end.

And even before that utterly delectable apology, I found I didn't have it in me to be truly angry with any of them.

It was as if even with me right in front of them, our time apart left them on edge, as though I could be ripped from their grasp at any moment. It made them even more protective and possessive - as impossible as that seemed. So I decided that sacrificing a day, and taking that time to reassure them of our bond, was a worthwhile endeavor - even with all the impending tasks weighing heavily on my subconscious.

It was worth it. They were worth it.

They would always be worth it.

So, after a leisurely morning, we kept to the shadows, and I spent several enjoyable hours showing my mates the city I'd spent my formative years in. As discreetly as possible, we traversed the length of Rifthold, from the elegant residential districts to the markets crammed with vendors selling goods for the upcoming summer solstice.

There was no sign or scent of the Cadre, thank the gods. But the King's Valg guards were posted at a few busy intersections, giving me the opportunity to point them out. They studied them with trained efficiency, their keen sense of smell allowing them to pick out which ones were still human and which were inhabited by the lesser demons.

From the look on their faces, I almost felt a little bad for any guard that came across a single one of them, demon or human. Almost, but not quite. Especially given that their presence alone had guilt creeping in for taking the day off of my vital, terrible plans, somewhat ruining what otherwise would have been a peaceful, rejuvenating day.

Ignoring that sliver of guilt, I continued the tour, taking them to one of Nesryn's family's bakeries, where we tasted their delicious pear tarts. At the docks, we tried some pan-fried trout - which they thoroughly enjoyed based on Cassian's snarling dismay when I snuck bites of his.

It was surreal that they were here - my mates were here with me, in Rifthold. In the city that held so much of my personal history, so much pain and grief, but still so many priceless moments that I wouldn't trade for anything. And there was so much more I wanted them to see, to learn about what my life had been like. Things I'd never wanted to share with anyone else.

Even when I'd heard the crack of a whip after lunch as we cooled ourselves by the water, I wanted them with me to witness it, to mark it. They'd silently stood, comforting me with the embrace of their large bodies as we watched the cluster of chained slaves hauling cargo onto one of the ships. Watched - and could do nothing.

For now.

I swore to myself that it wouldn't be for long. Putting an end to that was a high priority.