Chapter Twenty-Five

Aelin

The last person I expected stood at the entryway to the small cabin that Mor had brought me to a day ago. After a few hours of wallowing in my agony, I had managed to pull myself together enough that the casual observer couldn't tell anything was amiss - wouldn't be able to see the roaring hollowness that now existed. I had numbed myself to the point where I couldn't even feel anything anymore. It was probably for the best, I needed to be completely focused on saving Prythian and Eirlea before I was forced to pay the price of my ancestors actions. It was better for everyone involved that I remained separate.

All of that carefully curated numbness was threatened when I was faced with the determined face of Rowan. I stared at him, taking in his disheveled appearance, at a complete loss for words for once in my life.

"Fireheart."

His use of my nickname in a shockingly reverent tone finally snapped me out of my stupor. Adopting and icy glare, I challenged him, "What do you want, Whitethorn?"

My attempt to appear unaffected failed completely at his next words, "I failed you, Aelin."

I jolted forward half a step before regaining myself and standing tall. I had already been broken beyond belief by this male, I couldn't allow him to damage me further. I cleared my throat, "Rowan-"

His eyes blazed with determination when he spoke over me, "I broke your trust. I know that. I am a warrior that has seen countless wars full of death, destruction and grief. I have seen the worst our world has to offer and yet I would face it all again without a second thought. But the thought of losing you, of pushing you away..." My breath caught in my throat as he kneeled before me, this powerful, mighty fae warrior brought to his knees before me. "I have done horrible, unforgivable things to you in an attempt to keep you way from me, to keep you safe. But I was always fighting a losing battle. Everything that I am, all I can give to you, it is yours. I am yours. In whatever way you will have me."

His eyes shown with the truth of what he was saying and it was all I could do not to collapse with relief right in front of him. Determined to make sure there was nothing I could misinterpret, I pushed a little bit harder, "Are you saying that you want this? That you want to be my mate, that you want...me?"

Insecurity raged through me and the moment Rowan sensed it he tore up on his feet, pulling me against him and cradling my face between his large palms. He locked his fierce gaze onto mine as he whispered, "I want you with every single piece of me. There is not a part of you that I do not want, that I do not love Fireheart."

With that heart-stopping statement he swooped down and captured my lips with him, and I was lost. Lost to the feeling of his rough kiss as his lips moved against mine. I gasped at the sensation and he took the opportunity to plunder my mouth with his tongue. We waged a war with our mouths, Rowan determined to take, to give, greedily taking my pleasure, forcing me to accept his love and desire. I fought back with every scrap of anger, of desperation and relief at finally having this male in my arms.

He pushed me into the doorframe, groaning loudly as my curves pressed against every hard inch of him. His hardness was demanding against my thigh, and I moaned at the sensation. Our kisses grew more frantic, and my body pulsed with the need to be touched. Gasping, I wrenched my mouth away from his, breathing harshly.

He pressed himself against my more firmly, sucking and licking down the length of my neck, causing me to shiver. He continued his torturous teasing as I gasped out, "Rowan - there's something else. Something you need to know before this can go any further."

My eyes practically rolled to the back of my head when he sucked harshly on my pulse point, making him chuckle darkly. He slowly ran his hand down my neck, tracing my collarbone with wicked intent as he raised his heated gaze to me, "I already know about your other mates, Aelin." I was stunned into silence while he dipped his heat, licking a hot path up the side of my neck, "I know, and I don't care. You're mine, my Fireheart, and I'm yours. No matter who else I need to share you with."