Chapter Seven

Aelin

As the rest of the court stared at me in utter bewilderment, Amren entered out of nowhere. Heads whipped to her when she said, "Well I certainly did not expect the truth to be revealed that quickly, Mala's Heir."

I snarled at her, "Do shut up Lani, I would be most appreciative if you stopped using those fucking titles before I have to gut you."

She grinned viciously at me and I bared my teeth right back. Cassian jumped in, probably to spare him the trouble of attempting to tear us apart - not that he could mind you, he'd only get himself hurt - something that bothered me on a baser level for some reason. "You knew this whole time, Amren?"

With sugary sweetness, she said, "Well when the god's chosen walks through realms and crash lands in my city's river, I tend to listen to the grumblings of my siblings more closely." She stated as if that explained everything, while everyone other than me looked utterly lost.

I sighed. Just what I needed more problems, more people questioning me, judging me.

"I'll explain what I can," I said tiredly.

"You mean you'll explain what you want," crooned Amren.

I snarled viciously at her, and watched the rest of the group pale, while she just laughed at me.

I rolled my eyes. "Amren, also known as Lani in my world, was one of the original gods of my realm," I explained as utter exhaustion hit. "Similar to how Amren is trapped in this realm, our gods are stuck, although with the lack of a physical presence," I state, narrowing my eyes at the bitch.

She smirked at me in response and gods-dammit I kind of like her. "I won't go into details but they want to return home, and have...chosen me to ensure that they do. They have manipulated certain aspects of my life - which is why I know they're the gods-damned reason I'm in this realm in the first place - bumbling idiots that they are."

I rolled my eyes, cursing the gods to high hell.

Rubbing my temples I continued, "Prior to landing in your living room, I was training with Rowan, the fae male who is now apparently in this gods forsaken realm, in order to complete my task, and save my own gods damned kingdom," I grumbled under my breath, too quite for even fae ears to catch. "So that is why Amren knew who I was."

Cassian stared blankly at me, sputtering "But you said you were an assassin - fought like an assassin, and you're also a queen?"

"Yes," I stated blankly, refusing to share more information than necessary. I could see the gleam of mischief in Amren's eyes and growled low at her, making her smirk widen. Cassian meanwhile, looked like I just told him pigs could fly - and that I was right.

Rhys stared at me, calculating in that brilliant mind of his. His violet eyes shined with the various possibilities running through his brain.

"That's how you knew how to shield your mind from me," he murmured. "You were taught by the fae."

Azriel's eyes narrowed on me, demanding with his version of quiet intensity, "Why did you lie about your name in the first place?"

"I didn't lie," I said calmly. "Celeana is one of my many names, and in a way was my identity for longer than Aelin."

His eyes narrowed further but before I could refuse to expand on that cryptic ass statement; Mor jumped in.

She asked softly, "Aelin, if there are fae in your world, why would the gods have chosen you?" Hearing the way her words sounded, she amended, "Not that I mean any offense, you are clearly brilliant and fierce, but you are still human - and so young."

Amren chuckled and began to speak, "That's because Aelin here -"

I jumped in quickly, glaring at the impetuous bitch while she smirked back at me. "There are reasons, and although I think they are bullshit reasons, they are also not up for discussion." Mor seemed to accept that as a response, but I could tell she wasn't planning on leaving the topic alone for long.

Rhysand

I looked over the girl - the Queen, I amended in my head - as my mind cataloged all that she had told us. There was clearly more to the story but one look in her eyes informed me that we would not be getting any more information than that.

I still wondered why a fae male, their most powerful male apparently, would take the time to train her, even as deadly as she has proven to be. Yes, aspects of this were not adding up, but the bargain that was already in place did not change.

I had promised to help Aelin return home, been sworn to secrecy and I would uphold that promise. Even if a rebellious part of me wanted to keep her here and never let her go. Imagining what having that fire in my life would bring.

I shook myself out of my reverie and opened my mind to my court. At least the queen title explains her arrogance

Cassian snorted, And why she laughed at your title of High Lord.

I turned to glare at him. Although, he wasn't wrong. Aelin must not have understood that the title of High Lord was the equivalent of a King - not that I believe that would stop her from laughing at me.

Mor seemed quietly introspective when she said, I just don't understand why the gods would place this burden on a young human female.

Amren snorted in the link, Ah yes, the poor helpless human.

Narrowing my eyes at her, she let a cackle through the bond. Rolling my eyes, I addressed Azriel. Az, what do you think? Is she being truthful?

Az hesitated. She is. From what my shadows can tell she has not told a lie since she entered this realm, and yet I feel as though we have only a fraction of the story.

Perhaps meeting this Rowan will give us more insight. Although if he was responsible for the pain we felt earlier I am certain it will not be a pleasant meeting for him, I growled.

Slightly surprised by the answering growls from my brothers. Although who was I to deny what was obvious. Aelin was beautiful, enthralling and wildly dangerous. It was clear that both my brothers felt the draw as well - but that was a conversation that would have to wait.

I spoke up, interrupting a rather terrifying stare down between Aelin and Amren and asked Aelin, "What would you like to do about Rowan's presence? Since you are both of the same realm it may be ... prudent to return you both together."

My heart clenched painfully at the thought, but I worked to ignore my urge to lock her down, tie her up, and keep her by my side for all of eternity.

She rolled her eyes and said, "You are probably right. As much as I would love to leave the gods damned idiot to fumble around your realm, that would likely cause issues for both of us." She sighed, "Well, I suppose I will have to go collect him - any idea where he was last sighted?"

A warm feeling filled my gut at the thought of her disdain for the male, but ignoring it - or attempting to ignore it - I said, "He was last seen on the edge of the spring court, I can take you there now."

"Might as well get it over with," She grumbled.

I tried to suppress my smile as she grasped my offered hand and I winnowed us to the outskirts of the spring court.

We landed and Aelin stumbled, causing me to raise my eyebrow at the least graceful move I had seen her make.

"What the fuck was that?" she stuttered.

I cocked my head at her. "It's called winnowing. Do the fae in your world not winnow?"

She snorted a laugh, "The vast majority do not, no."

Interesting.

Before I could comment further I heard a loud war cry as a giant hawk flew rapidly towards us.

Without a thought I erected a barrier of magic between us and the bird.