Chapter Twenty-Two

Aelin

I glanced around the room filled with fae lords and warriors, who were getting absolutely nothing fucking done. Even after the explosive words from the Valg prisoner, all these males seemed to be able to do was argue and bicker like insecure children. I felt a migraine grow beneath my temple and had already exchanged a number of exasperated looks with Mor.

Underneath the soundtrack of their ridiculous conversations, my mind was racing with everything that I knew of both realms, and what was necessary to defeat the Valg. While an entire court of fire-wielders was an enticing weapon against the Valg, if they were truly set on conquering the realm, they would have been prepared. We needed a back-up plan, we needed the Book of Breathings.

Subtly, I turned my head slightly to make eye contact with Rhysand, combined with a subtle request down our bargain - which I now realized was strengthened through our mate bond, another issue I didn't have time to deal with - he opened his mind to me.

I spoke into his mind directly. We need to bring Rowan here. If we give them something else to focus on, maybe it will spur them into action.

He narrowed his eyes at me, Why do I feel as though that's not the only reason you want to give them something to focus on, my goddess?

I tried not to flush at his words, but the utter reverence with which he called me his goddess, even in his mind, was a difficult thing for even me to ignore. Also, the damn bastard was too smart for his own good. Of course he couldn't have just accepted my surface level reason for requiring a distraction. However, I suppose if I am meant to be getting used to this alliance nonsense, sharing a few crumbs of my plans wouldn't kill me. Probably.

I glared at him softly before explaining further, I am the novelty in the room currently. I need them focused on something else so I can speak to Tarquin. Privately.

I could practically hear the growl building in his throat and rolled my eyes as I appeased his territorial nature, Oh calm down you overbearing fae bastard. Well, appeased it as much as my own nature would allow me to. We need additional resources. We need his half of the book of breathings.

Understanding lit in his gaze as he nodded sharply. His eyes became unfocused slightly, and I assumed he was reaching out to Amren. Clearing his throat, he turned back towards the gathering of High Lords, "My second will be bringing another warrior from Aelin's world, who has experience fighting in her realm, as well as the Valg specifically."

I repressed another roll of my eyes as this news set off a fresh round of complaints, each of the High Lords speaking over each other with their objections.

"What use is he if he has no knowledge of our realm?"

"Was this the fae that bested Tamlin?"

"How do you know this bastard is trustworthy?"

Frankly, I was beginning to agree with Cassian's initial assessment of High Lords meeting, the posturing and bullshit was completely exhausting. However, I'd obtained my distraction, so I carefully moved towards my next target. I made a small show of whispering to Mor, letting her know I needed some air. I rose in a more sultry manner than usual, making sure to make subtle eye contact with Tarquin, enough that he knew it was purposeful, but not enough to bring attention from the rest of the room. Frankly, the last thing I wanted was further attention from these assholes that called themselves leaders.

I walked out to the adjoining balcony and leaned over the edge. If my curves were on full display in that position, well...it was purely coincidental, I promise.