Chapter Eight

Rowan

Seething, I flew towards the male that appeared out of thin air with Aelin - with my mate. I had been circling overhead when they popped into existence like Fenrys did and I watched her stumble. Bellowing a fierce cry I dove towards them, eyes locked on the male that who was a threat. Bright violet eyes locked on mine as I surged forward - painfully making contact with a strong magical barrier.

Refusing to let it get in my way, I shifted, drawing up my magic to attack the strange male when Aelin yelled "What in the name of Hellas do you think you are doing Buzzard?"

Growling and refusing to take my eyes off the male, I said softly to Aelin "Come here Aelin, and we can leave." I snarled when he attempted to place himself between us, seeing her roll her eyes from the corner of my vision - refusing to be manhandled.

I could almost hear her raised eyebrow when she responded "Really buzzard, can we? Because from where I'm standing it looks like you are attempting to separate me from the assistance that I worked very hard at tricking him into!" At that the male spared a glance at Aelin with a playfully raised eyebrow and a twinkle of mischief. "Oh shove it, Rhys. After seeing me fight you knew damn well it was a trick."

At that my mind blanked out with a white roar of rage. I snapped into the killing calm. I heard Aelin mumble, "Oh shit." Before I advanced on the male snarling, "You attacked her?"

Suddenly Aelin jumped in front of him and I roared at having the target of my rage blocked, his arms tried to tug her behind him and I snarled louder, moving like a blur until she was pressed into my chest, and I was breathing in her scent. I erected a shield of ice and wind around us, growling low when I felt the male attempt to use his strange dark magic to break through my protections. As jasmine, lemon verbena and embers filled my senses and soothed my soul, I allowed myself to relax out of the killing calm.

My nose was buried in her nape, mouthwateringly close to her pulse point when I realized she was speaking to me. "-the actual fuck buzzard. How in the hells did you even get here? Also your manners are more atrocious than I remembered because that is certainly NOT how you greet people."

I pulled back enough to look into her mesmerizing eyes and stated as softly as I could, "You were gone, Aelin. You were gone and I had no idea where you went."

She scoffed at that, "And I'm supposed to believe that mattered to you? I am aware exactly what I am to you, and what I am not." I could see the hurt and pain in her gaze and tried to explain but she spoke over me. "Rowan this is Rhysand, the High Lord of the Night Court and my reluctant ally in this realm." She winked at him and I had to shove down the growl building in my throat. "Rhys this is Prince Rowan Whitehorn; buzzard, trainer, carranam and fully fledged pain in my ass."

I cringed at that description, which was both accurate and wholly misinformed. I looked over at the male - at Rhysand - and had to stifle the urge to shove Aelin behind me. I fought the growl building in my throat as I observed the primal want and possessiveness he had in his eyes as he looked at Aelin - at my mate.

"You keep saying that word, carranam, what does it mean?" He asked as he glanced between us. His eyes gleamed with challenge when they met mine, and I longed to show him just how far I would go to protect and defend my bond with Aelin. Even better, to show him just how linked we were, even beyond the mate bond.

I grinned ferally, thrilled at the thought of putting this arrogant male in his place. "It is -"

"Neither here nor there at the moment." Aelin interrupted fixing me with a glare that said do not say another word, you have already ruined enough of my secrets here.