Chapter Thirty Nine

Aelin

Our time spent in the Illyrian Mountains was rejuvenating. After my confrontation with the warriors, they were effectively cowed and didn't offer any further resistance. Following our exchange of secrets, a new confidence had bloomed within Cassian that allowed him to settle in our mating bond more securely than before.

The six of us spent the night in the cabin swapping stories from our own training days. I was completely unsurprised to hear that Cassian had been a cocky little shit, even when he had nothing, almost falling off my chair when he said he'd beat Rhys bloody when he first met him. Of course, Rowan pointed out that I was no better considering I had initiated a brawl with a fully trained fae warrior while drunk off my ass. I politely ignored the roars of laughter that little story received. Thankfully, Mor immediately jumped in with some less than flattering stories about all three of my Night Court mates and their activities. She was a godsdamn blessing.

Everything about the evening was warm and bright. Contentment wrapped around our every interaction as securely as Az's shadows surrounded him. Though I'd never say it aloud, because Rowan might kill me, I could see him slowly developing bonds of brotherhood with my other mates. He regarded them with a newfound respect that warmed my heart. They even invited him to their yearly Winter Solstice snowball fight. Upon hearing their explanation of the event, I insisted on attending as well.

Sadly, the jovial mood could only last so long. As soon as we arrived back at the House of Wind, Amren informed us that the Mortal Queens had sent word. We had to leave soon after.

Mor carried the orb; Cassian carried her. Rhysand held me tightly, Az and Rowan flying close by. The silence was ominous as we went to show the queens a secret they'd all suffered for so long to keep.

Far too soon, we stood in the sitting room of the abandoned mortal estate. I once again wore a flowing gown of chiffon and silk with a delicate diadem perched on my brow. But this time, I allowed the strength of my allegiance to the Night Court show in the pure Onyx fabric of my gown.

I stood beside Rhysand, Cassian and Azriel flanking us tightly - unified, brutal, relentless; a wave crashing upon the store, only to return even stronger.

Only the eldest and the golden-haired queens came this time. Escorted by just as many guards as before.

The eldest queen slid her sharp eyes over us, our formation, my gown, and merely sat without our bidding, the skirts of her burgundy gown fanning around her. The golden queen remained standing a moment longer, angling her curly head ever so slightly when our eyes met. A twitch of her lips later and she claimed the seat beside her companion.

Rhys didn't so much as nod as he greeted them, "We appreciate you taking the time to see us again."

The ancient queen surveyed us all with narrowed eyes, resting a simmering glare on me as she let out a huff. "After being so gravely insulted the last time ..." I met her gaze, unblinking, as she clicked her tongue. "We debated for many days on returning. As you can see, there were some who found the insult to be unforgivable."

Humming in contemplation, I said, "If that is the worst insult any of you have ever received, I'd say you're in for quite a shock when war comes."

The golden queen's lips twitched again. She purred to me, "So it's true. Three monsters laid claim to your heart, Emissary?"

I tilted my head, correcting her, "Four actually." Surprise and delight flashed across her eyes before they shaded.

Mor jumped in, much more diplomatically. "I do not think," she said, "that it was mere coincidence that the Cauldron let them find each other on the eve of war returning between our two peoples."