Chapter Twenty-Six

Rhysand

I snarled at the letter I was reading, throwing it down on my desk and running my fingers raggedly through my hair. It had been days, days, since Aelin and Rowan left and all we could do was sit around and wait. Sure, we were still working towards this damned war effort, as evident by the promising and infuriating letter I had just read, but I was going out of my mind with worry. It had been much too long since I last laid eyes on my goddess, my mate, and I still didn't even know if she wanted me. It was enough to drive a male to madness.

I didn't even know where she was.

Azriel assured me that she was fine, he had attached one of his shadows to her permanently since finding out there was a real chance he could be one of her mates. He had at least some sort of surveillance on the stunning little creature who had become our entire universe.

The lucky bastard.

Speaking of the devil, I looked up to see Azriel lurking in the doorway to my study. Noticing he had captured my attention he nodded, "Mor just went to winnow Rowan and Aelin back. They should be arriving back shortly."

Thank fuck.

I shot to my feet, following him to the living room of the House of Wind. I was practically feral in my need to see Aelin. I was also cautiously concerned with what male would greet us. If they had indeed worked out their differences, which for Aelin, and only Aelin's sake, I hoped they had, there was a solid chance Rowan would not take kindly to the presence of three powerful fae males around his mate.

I didn't care. I needed to see Aelin.

I entered the living area to see Azriel casually lounging in the corner and Cassian pacing across the space of the room. I shot a look at Az, hating that the prick knew more about the situation than I did, but settled into the couch, attempting to calm my racing nerves. This entire situation grated on my nerves but I was so desperate to see Aelin that I didn't even care if we got answers at this point.

Next thing I knew, Mor appeared with Aelin and Rowan in tow. I shot to my feet, not even caring to keep the cool, calm, unaffected mask usually associated with my rank as High Lord. Looking at her ethereal face, it was like I could suddenly breathe again. I scanned her from head to toe, thankful she appeared to be in one piece.

Once I had assured myself that she was at least physically fine, I allowed myself to widen my awareness and take stock of the entire situation. Rowan was standing incrementally closer to her than she normally allowed, both radiating pure security and pleasure. Their hands casually brushing together at their sides, and even Mor seemed relieved as she stood next to them. I caught the faintest glimpse of mating marks on both of their necks.

Apparently they had worked out their differences after all.

I tried not to let jealousy overwhelm me as I took stock of Rowan. It took considerable effort not to tense at the threat an obviously recently mated male could pose, especially one as lethal as Rowan had proven to be, and I could feel Azriel and Cassian standing at attention beside me.

Aelin clearly took great amusement in our wariness, as she purred at us, "So tense, boys. Whatever could be the matter?"

I looked over at the female incredulously, even as relief roared through me at the joy sparkling in her eyes. Even if it was due to me, it was a relief to see her happy, especially considering how devastated she had been when I had last laid eyes on her.

Cassian had clearly decided to completely disregard the threat, as he surged forward and wrapped up Aelin in a bone crushing hug, swinging her off her feet. "It's good to see you little warrior. It seems as though you had an eventful few days." His eyes sparkled with mirth, but I wondered if Aelin could sense the seed of pain and insecurity he was hiding.