Chapter Ten

Aelin

I had certainly not meant to release my power and shift, but as I stood in the cold mountains I could not say I was not relieved. The change in my power level had been pushing at my boundaries since landing in this strange world, and the stress of finding Rowan here had only exacerbated it. How this male could still impact me on such a level when I knew I meant nothing to him hurt more than I could ever imagine. I looked around the shocked gazes of the night court and cringed a little internally. Not that they could know I was ever in doubt. But I knew that this was the end of any attempt at burgeoning friendship, my heart jolted in pain at that. Like all the others they would be terrified of my power and see me as only a threat - or a weapon. Even Rowan, the one person who I thought understood me, didn't truly see me as a person. Sure, he stood at my side now, hackles basically raised and ready to fight, but I knew that was only because his beloved queen wanted me alive.

After a few moments of silence, Rhysand choked out "I thought you were human?"

"I am. But I am also fae," I explained. "In my world fae have two forms. Gesturing to Rowan I said, "Rowan is a hawk and a fae. As a demi fae I am both fae and human."

Azriel, ever observant, asked, "If you had all this power the whole time, why did you not burn us to a crisp at the beginning?"

I cringed, and my jaw tightened. "I may be an assassin," I spit, "but I am not one to kill without fully evaluating the situation. I did not wake in chains so there was potential that you were all innocent to my world." Rowan snarled at my veiled insinuation at Endovier. I rolled my eyes. "I'd say I apologize for the deception but frankly what did you expect?"

Surprisingly, Cassian burst out laughing. "She's got us there. Who among us wouldn't try to manipulate a potential hostage situation to our own advantage?" The rest of the night court grumbled, grudgingly agreeing. I didn't know what to do. This is not how I expected the confrontation to go.

Determined to get back on solid footing, I allowed my false bravado to sweep out. Staring at my nails, I allowed my eyes to narrow and sweep out over the court. "I will warn you. Any attempt to capture me will not go according to plan. I promise you I speak the truth when I tell you that you have not glimpsed a fraction of my power. I encourage you to tread carefully." I felt fire burn in my gaze as Rowan shifted into a fighting stance. Apparently Maeve still wanted me enough that he was forced to defend me here.

Confusion lit behind Mor's gaze as she stepped forward hesitantly. "Cel-Aelin what are you talking about? Why would we try to capture you?"

Why? I snarled, angry now, "I know what I am. I know my only worth is that of a weapon, but I promise I will no longer be so easily wielded." I felt Rowan flinch beside me but ignored him. We both knew it was the truth. Teeth bared, I watched as sadness appeared in the eyes of the night court.

Rhysand stepped past Mor, a confusing medley of pain, understanding and acceptance in his eyes. "I swear as High Lord of the Night Court that me and my own will neither attempt to capture you or use you as a weapon. I will honor the deal to help you return to your world and swear upon my family that you will always remain free in my court."

Well, then. I nodded sharply, not trusting my voice at this moment. Rowan relaxed minutely next to me and murmured, "Have you released enough power?" At my nod he cleared his throat and projected, "Perhaps we should return to the house. It may be the time to share additional information."

Rhysand

We winnowed back to the House of Wind, and I had refreshments appear, making sure to include sweets and cake for Aelin. Aelin smiled wryly at me when the chocolate hazelnut cake appeared in front of her, and I smirked when Rowan narrowed his eyes at our exchange.