Chapter Fifteen

Rhysand

As expected, Aelin and Rowan had quickly picked up on Prythian politics. Aelin's quick mind absorbed the information of our realms leaders like a natural sponge, and Rowan clearly had centuries of political experience. Over the next several days I was able to give them a thorough download of not only the system of the seven courts and High Lords, but additional personal information for each leader and a general understanding of their courts. Aelin seemed particularly interested in how each High Lord differed in their approach to ruling and dealing with the other leaders of the realm. Even though I hated interacting with my fellow High Lords, I was already intrigued to see how she would deal with them.

Azriel had unfortunately been unable to find a way into the Mortal Queens courts yet, but Mor was well on her way to negotiating a neutral meeting place for us to meet with them. The High Lords were being a pain in my ass, as usual, while determining a neutral meeting place for our gathering. Amarantha just had to ruin our one agreed upon meeting place with her particular brand of bullshit. I was reading through another idiotic missive from Beron when Aelin sauntered into my office.

She had been here frequently in the past few days, but typically the surly Rowan was stuck to her side like a burr. He was obviously still unhappy with Cassian's announcement and had made a point to stick to Aelin like glue as much as possible in a clear attempt to ward off our advances. Needless to say I was incredibly pleased to see her enter my space all by herself.

I turned in my chair as she entered, quirking my eyebrow, "What can I do for you Aelin darling?" She raised one eyebrow at my term of endearment but said nothing, turning to examine the map of Prythian on my wall. I took that as a win.

"You know, you've told me all about how the other High Lords govern, how they present themselves, the details of their courts, but you haven't really told me about your role." My stomach soured a bit at her statement. I didn't want her to know me as the High Lord of the Night Court the way others in my realm did. However, I would never lie to her. I had to hold out hope that she would understand, she was known as the most brutal assassin of her realm after all.

I cleared my throat, "My court is the most feared in Prythian, and I am the most feared High Lord. Velaris, the court that you have experienced, isn't known to anyone outside of the court. My other court, the only one the rest of the realm believes exists, is the Court of Nightmares and it is every bit as terrible as the title. In the minds of the rest of the realm, a place that monstrous must have a High Lord even more terrifying. I perpetuate that expectation whenever I leave these boarders." I swallow heavily as she turns towards me. Her sharp, intelligent eyes seem to pick up on every hidden emotion as she takes me in. I have never felt as stripped bare as I do under her gaze. I force myself to continue, "I become the monster they expect in order to protect the goodness and beauty that is Velaris."

I can't breathe as she slowly stalks towards me, never taking her enchanting eyes away from mine. Time seems to freeze as she stands directly in front of me, a glorious goddess facing off against the monster of the dark. My will to breathe leaves me entirely when she lays one delicate palm on my forearm. It burns in a way that lets me know I will never be the same again. Then she calmly and clearly states, "You are not the monster that you make them believe you are, Rhysand. I can see that you clearly believe that you are what you portray at some level, but I have met many monsters, and you are not one of them." Her hand slowly grazes up my arm, across my shoulder until it ghosts across my jaw. "You do what you must to protect those you love, those who deserve every ounce of good you can squeeze from this world. I have done horrific things with no excuse. Don't feel like you need to hide from me, I am wholly the monster you pretend to be."

She attempts to turn away and I snarl, grabbing her forearm. How on earth could this pure, ethereal creature think that she was the real monster in this scenario. She had seen horrors that would scar the most seasoned fae, and handled them with grace and strength. Her torrid past was not a weakness. It spoke to her inherent strength and goodness that she hadn't succumbed to all that had been thrust upon her. The very idea that she couldn't see that made me irrationally furious.

Before I knew what had happened I had her pinned against one of my bookshelves. One arm caged her in and the other was wrapped loosely around her delicious throat. Her eyes were slightly wide, but I was under no delusion that she hadn't allowed me to pin her in this way. That intoxicating feeling had me bending my head towards her neck, breathing in her scent as I nosed her pulse point.

I growled in her ear, "You are no more a monster than I am darling. You don't get to stand there and tell me that my actions don't make me a true monster unless you accept the same for yourself." I back up slightly so I can stare directly into her mesmerizing eyes. "You are strength incarnate, my goddess, and you will not slander yourself in front of me."

I was only a breath away from her lips and I was thoroughly drunk on her presence. Our breathing synced and I could hear that her heart was hammering as fast as mine. I leaned imperceptibly closer to those tempting plump lips as I heard her sharp inhale.

That break in her composure undid me, and I lunged forward the remaining distance, capturing her mouth with my own. She tasted of the sweetest ambrosia, the sun and the stars and everything fierce. She kissed me back with a fierce abandon, and it soon became a battle of lips, teeth and tongue. I pressed myself harshly against her, reveling in the feeling of her soft curves and lean muscle against my larger frame. I loved everything about the enchanting contradiction of her body. How she could appear and feel so delicate while hiding an absolute monstrosity of power within her slight frame.

Our kiss was everything I needed that I didn't know I was looking for. I lost sense of myself in the movement of our lips. I was painfully hard as she writhed against me. What I wouldn't give to lose myself in her tight heat. One of my hands tightened against her slender throat even as the other caressed her body worshipfully.

After several long minutes locked in the intimate battle that was our kiss, she jerked away, shoving me back harshly. Her breath came in sharp pants as she looked at me with wild eyes. Her long hair was deliciously mussed and her plump lips were red from my abuse. She made a guttural sound in the back of her throat as she jerked away and practically ran from my office.

I smirked.

Run all you want my goddess. I've tasted you now, and I'll never let you go.

Aelin

I rushed from Rhysand's office with my mind spinning. I hadn't meant to kiss him, and I certainly hadn't expected it to feel like that. Like every single nerve ending was singing and shooting sparks simultaneously. I hadn't necessarily thought that the Bone Carver was lying about him being one of my mates, but that kiss had left me without a shadow of a doubt.

I could only hope that Rhysand hadn't felt what I had.

My life was complicated enough, and I would only inevitably disappoint anyone who attempted to tie themselves to me. In one way or another, it would be doomed.

My breathing finally slowed as I reached the training ring at the top of the House of Wind. I stared up at the clear sky and attempted to calm my racing thoughts. I really had just gone to his office to gain a deeper understanding of his role in this world, but then he had called himself a monster.

I didn't care what mask he had to adopt in order to keep his court safe, he was so clearly filled with goodness. I felt his core essence within minutes of meeting him, that was one of the reasons I hadn't actually killed anyone in my first morning at this court. I don't care how good of an actor he must be, the rest of the High Lords were clearly idiots if they thought there was a single bone in that male's body that wasn't just and good. Hell, he saved them from that monster Amarantha and they still thought he was the monster? They must be intellectually damaged.

While I had no problem taking advantage of those who were mentally inferior, I could already predict it would be a challenge to make them believe my story and in conjunction, aid in the fight against the Valg. I was tossing ideas around in my head when I heard the soft rasp of a footstep against the stone arena. I turned my head sharply and breathed a slight sigh of relief when I saw Cassian enter the ring.

A rather brilliant thought, if I don't say myself, crossed my mind and I met his eyes, smirking evilly. "Want to do something unnecessarily dangerous with me?" I queried.

My smirk widened into a full grin when he nodded sharply, lips quirked in sharp smile, eyes glinting dangerously as he responded without a beat of hesitation, "Always, Little Warrior."

Oh dear. I've just found the perfect partner in crime and we are about to get in so much trouble.

I can't wait.