Chapter Thirty

Aelin

The male scampered away with his metaphorical tail between his legs, utterly scared for his life. Rhysand practically pulled with rage behind me, his territorial fae instincts out in full force.

Glaring, I turned to face him, "What was that?"

He froze, unsure how to react to my sudden anger before recovering and growling back, "He was too close to you. He wanted you, and he's lucky I didn't rip his spine from his body for daring to talk to my mate in that manner."

"I'm sorry Rhysand, I must have missed when I suddenly became a helpless maiden and not a deadly assassin and fucking queen," I snarled at him. "If you think I will allow you to fight my battles as if I am a weak female just because we are mated then you don't know me at all."

All of the blood drained from his face, and the helpless terror on his face as he scrambled to backtrack has a snicker breaking free of my charade. I smirk at him as his rambling stops, eyes narrowing at me in accusation.

Before he can say anything else about my little performance I simper at him, "Good I'm glad we have that cleared up, now if you don't mind I want to dance."

I snag Mor's hand, who was waiting behind Rhysand with our drinks, laughing silently at the entire ordeal. "By the cauldron, Aelin," she giggles at me, "You are going to drive them crazy trying to figure you out."

I snark back, "As I should. Can't have my mates getting bored of me now can I?"

I sneak a glance back to the bar, where Rhysand is standing looking completely at a loss. Rowan has joined him talking in low tones. He looks up and I salute him with my drink as I feel the amusement and exasperation pouring off of me in waves. Despite my mischief, part of me settles at seeing my two bonded mates getting along so easily.

I twirl away, dancing to the pulsing beats of music while Mor and I pass back and forth a bottle of wine. The lights are low and sultry besides the occasional flashes that coincide with the loud enthralling music. I'm certain there is no hall like this anywhere in Eirlea and am determined to create one once I am back in Terrasen. The logistics of my future threaten to overwhelm me, but I push them back. Just for tonight, I ache to push back my responsibilities and decisions that are breathing down my neck.

I lose myself further in the beat of the music until I feel a hard body press against my back. The scent of pine and snow filters through me and I relax into him as he brings his lips to my ear, "That was cruel, Fireheart."

He grinds his hips against mine and I nearly pant at the sensation of him against me. It had been less than a week since I claimed this male as my own, and yet I am already desperate to feel him inside me again. I quirk my lips at him, purring, "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Another body presses against my front, and I look up, instantly lost in violet colored eyes. He pushes me more firmly on Rowan, forcing me to hold back a moan at the sensation of being trapped between two of my mates. Both of them grind into me to the beat of the music and my heart is thundering in my chest. How in the hells am I supposed to get anything done with these males tempting me at every corner. That doesn't even bring into account Cassian and Azriel. Something tells me those two are just as wicked as the males currently boxing me in. If they even want to be bound to a monster like you, something whispers in the back of my mind.

Thankfully, Rhysand chooses that moment to ghost his lips up my neck, utterly distracting me from my errant thoughts. He brings the lobe of my ear between his teeth, drawing a deep groan from me before purring, "Hmmm really, darling? I think you may have forgotten that while you are fearsome and strong in your own right, it's not just you anymore. You are ours," he practically snarls, "and we take care of what's ours, don't we Rowan?"