Chapter Six

Tamlin

Sitting in the Manor at the Spring court, I mulled over recent events. A low growl escaped at the thought that Rhysand overshadowed me, having been the one to end Amarantha's reign.

The hate I feel for that male only seems to grow as time passes. And he's determined to play the hero, even now sending subtle hints that our problems from Hybern did not end with that vile bitch. Although ...

A slow smile spreads across my mouth, perhaps it's time to do something to end our rivalry - once and for all.

The manor house shakes violently as a flash of power crashes through my wards. Scrambling to my feet I yell for Lucien as I race to the gardens - where I felt the intrusion.

Groaning on the ground is a large high fae male, with bright silver hair and a striking tattoo curling around the side of his face. He looks like a warrior, and I can sense an immense amount of power, potentially more than even Rhysand.

Distracted by my conniving thoughts at what that could mean for me, I almost flinched as his sharp emerald eyes snapped to me.

"Who are you?" I demanded. He stood, looking around and taking stock of his situation. When I received no response, I glared at him, saying, "I am the High Lord of the Spring Court, you will tell me who you are and why you are here!"

I gasped as he narrowed his eyes in my direction, and my breath seized in my throat. He had cut off my access to air!

He growled, low and feral, "No, you will tell me. Where is Aelin?"

I fell to my knees, gasping for air as I stuttered "I don't know who Aelin is."

"Useless," he muttered. Turning and walking away as he cut off my air supply completely. The last thing I remember is the strange man shifting into a hawk, and taking off.

Then everything went black.

Azriel

The inner circle was seated in a lounge area of the house of wind, while Celeana happily demolished half of a hazelnut chocolate cake. I had never been so fascinated by someone outside of my family before. At first glance she was a beautiful, delicate female with a lust for life - and clearly sweets.

But she had a fire in her that was obvious through her snark, arrogance and fighting prowess. One glance at her scarred body showed that she had clearly experienced hell - which made her fire all the more admirable. I wondered if that was where the title that Amren called her came from - Firebringer.

As if reading my mind, Rhysand asked her "What does that name mean, Firebringer?"

Instantly her eyes shuttered, and she laughed darkly. "Let's not start with the heavy stuff shall we?"

Why would a title be heavy? This girl was truly a puzzle, and I was looking forward to putting together the pieces.

Rhysand blinked in surprise, but nodded. "Alright," he said slowly, "How did you end up in our world?"

Celeana sighed, rubbing her temples. My heart ached at her obvious distress.

"I am not sure," she said. "One second I was attempting to reach my friend through a wyrd portal, and the next thing I knew I was sucked into the portal and crashing into a river. Then I woke up here."

Rhysand frowned, "What is a wyrd portal?"

Aelin explained, "A wyrd portal is a portal used to speak with other realms and realities through wyrdmarks, which before you ask are a neutral language of magic that can be used for various purposes. Although throughout history they have typically been associated with dark magic."