Chapter Forty Three

Aelin

"We know where it is," Azriel announced the next morning at breakfast.

We'd gathered around the dining table at the House of Wind, all of us needing the reassurance of the full court around us. Even Amren was here, tracking me with her fathomless silver eyes. I refused to meet her gaze as Azriel spoke.

"We've been able to narrow it down to the lower levels," he explained. His network and shadows were clearly effective if his spying had paid off so quickly. "Every inch of the castle and surrounding lands is heavily guarded, but not impossible to get through. We've worked out the timing of it - for a small group of us to get in and out, quick and silent. Hopefully to be gone before they know what's happening."

"Then we move in now," I say, heart clenching. "We don't have time to waste. Hybern has already shown his willingness to use the Cauldron - he can't be allowed to incite further damage."

My face was perfectly blank, voice emotionless despite the organ thudding painfully in my chest.

Mor spoke up, "But the King of Hybern could notice Rhys's presence as a High Lord the moment he arrives. If Aelin needs time to spell the Cauldron, that's a risky variable."

Cassian nodded, "We've considered that. Add on the fact that Rowan's power rivals Rhys's, you and Rhys will winnow us in off the coast; we fly in while Rhys and Rowan stay. It's the best we can do to give Aelin as much time as possible."

Silence fell as Rowan and Rhys stilled, eyes darting to me. I couldn't look at them in fear they might see my relief at the idea they wouldn't be there. Wouldn't have to witness what would occur.

"It's a solid plan," Azriel pushed. "The king doesn't know our scents, and won't feel our power if we don't use it. Aelin spells the Cauldron and we take it, vanishing before he notices ... It would be a grave insult. We beat them yesterday, and when we go into that castle ..." Vengeance danced across his aristocratic face. "We'll leave a few reminders that the Night Court is not to be toyed with."

Cassian nodded, and even Mor smiled at that.

"Are you asking me," Rhys finally spoke, far too calmly, "to stay outside while my mate goes into his stronghold?"

He glanced down at the ring now adorning my hand, flashing me back to the night before, after our moment in the bath.

Moving into Rhys's bedroom, he shut the door behind us and went to a small box on his desk - handing it to me silently.

My heart pounded as I opened the lid. The star sapphire gleamed in the candlelight, as if it had been plucked, gleaming from the night sky. I glanced up at him, "Your mother's ring?"

"My mother gave me that ring to remind me she was always with me, even during the worst of my training. When I came of age, she took it away. It is an heirloom of her family - has been handed down from female to female over many, many years. Then, she gave it to the Weaver. And she told me that if I were to marry or mate, the female would either have to be smart or strong enough to get it back. If the female wasn't either of those things, then she wouldn't survive the marriage," he inhaled sharply.

"I promised my mother that any potential bride or mate would have the test ... and it sat there for centuries."

A grin threatened my lips. "You said you wanted a demonstration of my skill."

"It was. A demonstration proving you to be far superior to any of my prior expectations for a mate."

"So my trip to the Weaver -"