Chapter Twenty

Aelin

Rowan and I were the last to wake the following morning, having slept like the dead after last night's more strenuous ... activities.

Blinking awake to a mostly empty bed had been strange, even still wrapped in the strong arms of my silver-haired mate, and I'd felt a momentary jolt of anxiety before I realized how low the sun already was in the sky. Taking a breath, I'd quickly sensed that the rest of my mates were still within the apartment. I'd basked in that relief before groaning when I realized I'd have to leave the warm haven of blankets and pillows to go join them.

If we actually managed to make it through all of this chaos and torment, I was going to make a royal decree that we would never have to leave our bed before noon.

After poking at Rowan until he reluctantly agreed to get up, I threw on a pale blue robe, not waiting for him to fully rouse before padding out towards the kitchen, where I was greeted with an alarmingly heart-warming sight.

My other three mates were crowded in the small kitchen alongside my cousin, their large frames barely allowing them any space to move about as they prepared breakfast. Cassian and Azriel chopped a myriad of vegetables for Aedion, who was preparing what I could only hope was an omelet in the large skillet. Rhysand was filling the kettle, all of them focusing on each movement so intensely it was as if they thought the meal would burst into flames if they took their eyes off it for even a second.

Smirking to myself, I leaned against the doorway, content to watch them and soak in the comfort of this rare moment of normalcy. They remained oblivious to my presence until Rowan ambled out of the bedroom, his rather vocal complaints at being forced awake drawing their attention, and then three sets of eyes were locked on me.

Azriel's eyes heated instantly, while Cassian gave me a rather obvious one-over, and Rhysand's violet gaze softened in greeting.

"Making breakfast? How domestic of you," I teased, wanting, no - needing - to bask in this moment for just a while longer.

Cassian raised an eyebrow at me, his hazel eyes sparking with humor, and drawled, "Shouldn't you still be asleep, little mate? After all, you had a rather busy night."

At that moment, Rowan finally appeared, sleep-mused and half-awake - his pants were only half buttoned, his eyes still bleary as he rubbed at his bare chest. He paused in the doorway to press a kiss to my temple, and I refuse to admit that I preened under the casual gesture of affection.

I should have known my trouble-maker mate wouldn't allow this opportunity to pass him by.

The glint in Cassian's eyes had become decidedly more wicked as he snarked, "Oh I see how it is, tired the old buzzard out, did you? I guess warrior-stamina just isn't what it used to be."

Rowan shot a half-hearted glare Cassian's way. "Don't make me kick your ass before I even have my first cup of tea, Cassian. I promise it won't be pleasant."

Cassian raised his hands in faux surrender, even as his lips stretched into a full grin. I rolled my eyes, fully expecting some more good-natured ribbing before the matter was put to rest. Cass never did know how to quit when he was ahead - and he loved nothing more than to provoke Rowan.

Surprisingly, it was Rhysand who snorted, saying dryly, "If you want to enjoy a full cup of tea before dealing with Cassian, might I suggest not spending half the night fucking our mate on the roof?"

I couldn't help the small laugh that bubbled up when Aedion's face instantly twisted into a scowl of disgust.

He grimaced at Rhysand. "I'd rather not discuss my cousin's sex life this early in the morning, or at all, if you don't mind." Turning to Rowan, his tone grew decidedly more exasperated. "The roof, really Rowan?"