Chapter Seventeen

Aelin

I was somehow miraculously able to escape the little confrontation with the overprotective bastards quickly, claiming that I needed to ensure that the cell was capable of holding a Valg. I convinced them that only Azriel needed to accompany me, who was mercifully quiet and I was easily able to avoid his looks of censure.

For the next few days, I did my very best to avoid all four fae males, spending my mornings exploring Velaris with Mor and my afternoons and evenings with my nose buried deep in various volumes of the realm. My excuse that the High Lords meeting was quickly approaching was true; but I also couldn't allow these males any deeper under my skin than they already were.

By the frustration in Cassian's eyes, Rhysand's clear disappointment, Azriel's quiet displeasure and Rowan's growing ire, they all knew exactly what I was doing. Thankfully none of them had called me out on it. I didn't know what my excuse would be except that they were all my fated mates and there was no way it could ever work out with us.

They all seemed to want to dig further under my skin, and I couldn't allow that to happen. I could, and had, handle a lot. Having all four of your mates reject the bond? I don't think there was anyone who could survive that, and I had to survive. I had promised Nehemia that I would save her kingdom and avenge her. I refused to leave these worlds before I upheld that promise to my friend.

One of those afternoons, Mor found me deep in another history book of Prythian. We had become fairly close over the past few weeks, so I barely stirred when she settled gracefully next to me. I looked up to see her watching me with a sense of contemplation. I raised my eyebrow at her and she asked, "Aelin, have you read any of my personal history yet?"

I snapped my book shut, sensing she was going somewhere with that rather leading question. Even knowing Mor for as short of a time as I had, I know I would not be escaping this conversation without her getting the answer she was looking for. I cleared my throat, "You are the Morrigan; your power is truth."

She hummed and I almost wanted to roll my eyes, wishing she would just get on with it. Her eyes pinned me, and I regretted my thought immediately with her next words, "So you shouldn't be surprised that I know that you are hiding a large truth, and I am fairly certain I know what it is."

She looked pointedly at my tattoo, and I groaned; cursing the gods to Hellas and back. At my obvious aversion to this subject she continued before I could speak, "I swear to you that I won't tell anyone outside of the two of us, but I think this is something you need to address. You are very clearly just ignoring it, and that won't work for the long term."

I really hated that she was right. Maybe if I just got some confirmation that I was right I wouldn't have to deal with this like the coward I was. I trusted Mor enough, and frankly I was desperate for some advice at this point. She was unfortunately right, I couldn't avoid this truth forever, however much I wanted to. I shallowed roughly before saying, "The Bone Carver told me that I have mates...as in multiple."

Although I'm sure she was expecting it, her eyebrows still rose at that. "I'm assuming I know who these males are?" At nod, she pursed her lips and hesitantly asked, "Is it because there are four of them...or do you not want all of them?"

I laughed hoarsely, "It's not a problem of me not wanting them as mates, but it has everything to do with me. I ruin everything Mor. Every single person who has claimed to love me has left me, and I just - I can't handle that in three more of my mates. I won't survive it."

Her eyes flared in understanding, realizing that of course Rowan was supposedly my 'mate', and the male hated me. I was relieved that she didn't seem to hate me for subjecting the males of her court to a mateless future. If anything, the understanding in her eyes told me she knew a thing or two about avoidance.