Chapter Eighteen

Rhysand

If my body weren't still thrumming with anger at the audacity of the males before me - not just Lorcan, though he was the worst offender, having not only attempted to threaten my mate with a blade to her perfect throat, but had planned to fucking kidnap her to lure out Rowan - I might have been entertained by the way they were completely losing their shit at Rowan's revelation.

Lorcan was frozen, his unblinking eyes trained on Rowan in pure disbelief. Fenrys, on the other hand, was a stuttering mess, the cacophony of vowels pouring out of his mouth not making a lick of sense. But it was Gavriel, I think, who's reaction was my favorite. He stood there, looking like a gaping fish as his mouth opened and closed, not even a whisper escaping.

It was all wildly entertaining.

But as it was, I was barely holding on to my rapidly fraying self-control, which was a hair's breadth away from snapping and resulting in three very dead fae males.

The only reason I was even remotely holding it together was because Aelin was once more completely surrounded by the four of us - exactly where she should always be - safe and secure. That and I knew all too well that she could have ended them any moment she pleased.

Still, I was itching to show these so-called warriors what a real male could do.

For the first time, I was thankful we didn't have access to our powers, because I don't think I could have stopped my magic from misting the three of them the instant Lorcan had alluded to using Aelin as bait. As gratifying as that would have been, I think my goddess would have been somewhat displeased with me - something that was utterly unacceptable.

There had to be some reason she still wanted the bastards alive, even if I didn't understand it. No matter what, I'd always respect my mate's wishes.

Unless her safety was at risk.

Then all bets were off.

Fenrys finally regained his wits enough to choke out, "I'm sorry, what the fuck did you just say?"

I wondered what part he was struggling with, the revelation that Aelin was not only Rowan's mate, but all of ours, or the fact that we didn't hail from Erilea.

"I'm not sure what exactly was unclear," I drawled, enjoying their wide-eyed looks of disbelief as I baited them far too much.

Honestly, I thought Rowan had cut to the chase quite nicely, even if he had done so in a rather dramatic fashion. I bet the bastard was smug as hell to have finally gotten to drop a bombshell without Aelin stealing his thunder.

He really was quite the gossip.

"Ignoring that batshit claim that they're from another fucking world for now, are you trying to say that all four of you are mated to Aelin?" Fenrys asked incredulously.

I narrowed my eyes at the male, not missing the glint of jealousy and desperate desire in his onyx-colored eyes. I wouldn't forget what I saw in the orb. I wasn't a fool, I knew what he wanted. Too bad for him that he'd never get it.

Still, it never hurt to remind the inferior male where he stood.

I tugged Aelin securely into my side, ignoring her snort of amusement at my possessive action, wholly focused on the younger male in front of me.

"Yes," I nearly growled, "She's ours."

Not yours. Never yours.

Ours.

Mine.

I watched as his eyes flared in response to my claiming words, a blatant challenge that all but declared; Just try to take her from me. I dare you.