Chapter Nineteen

Cassian

I swore under my breath as the entire room tensed at Helion's words. How the fuck had this dick known Aelin's real name? Surprisingly, Tarquin growled at him, "What bullshit are you spouting now, Helion?"

I knew that Tarquin wasn't Helion's biggest fan, but I had a suspicious feeling that this had more to do with Aelin than any conflict between the two of them. I narrowed my eyes at him as he eyed Aelin with too much interest. Fuck. I told Rhys that if we took her to this fucking meeting half the High Lords were going to fall in love with her. This was the one time I absolutely hated being right.

However, Aelin didn't seem concerned at all. She merely smirked, and purred at Helion, in a tone I did not like aimed at a male outside of our court, "I'm not surprised you figured it out, but I am impressed at the speed of your reveal."

Without another word, a pulse of her intoxicating power shot through the room and after a bright flash of light, Aelin was in her fae form. I had less than half a second to revel in the glory of her beauty before the rest of the room tensed. I was instantly on edge, ready to take out any threat before they reached Aelin, even though I knew she was more than capable of defending herself.

Beron was shocked into silence, but I almost launched myself at Tarquin when I saw the utter worship in his eyes, fuck, the worship in the eyes of half of the males in attendance, when Eris choked out, "What the fuck."

Rhys, a much better actor than I was, appeared completely unaffected as he drawled out, "Celeana Sardothian, Human Emissary to the Night Court, otherwise know as Aelin Ashyrver Galathynius, Queen of Terrasan."

Thesan's eyes went wide at her title and murmured, almost without active thought, "Ashyrver eyes, the fairest eyes, from legends old. Of brightest blue, ringed with gold."

Aelin's only outward expression of her surprise was a singular raised eyebrow, "I see you know the family poem, Thesan. How is it that you do?"

He swallowed roughly, "Helion may have the most extensive libraries of the realm, but my court is dedicated to its histories. You - your family line was the first recorded royalty in Prythian. You are from the legends of old." I knew that all the High Lords were taking notes, intent on looking into this history themselves. His eyes narrowed in contemplation, "But none of those legends said anything about shifting in human form."

Aelin replied simply, not even commenting on his claim that her family used to rule our world, "I am half human, half fae. The shifting is an aspect of my heritage." I wondered if she had uncovered that history herself in her copious hours spent in the library.

Thesan opened his mouth to reply, but Beron cut him off with a snarl, "I don't care how this bitch's eyes relate to our history. I want to know how some half breed mongrel can shift into a full fae."

I couldn't stop the brutal growl that ripped free from my throat, but it was matched by Rhys, Azriel, and surprisingly Tarquin. I eyed the later like I was debating ripping into his throat with my teeth, which for the record I was, and his guards stepped incrementally closer. Smart of them.

Aelin simply laughed, a deep, throaty sound that shot instantly to my cock. She speared Beron with a glance, "Oh, Beron. I would be careful how you speak to me. I know all about you and your pathetic little court, trust me when I say you do not want to face my wrath."

Beron's face had paled considerably, but he refused to heed her warning as he shot back, "You're not threat to me. You're just some half human c-"

His words were cut off as roaring flames filled the room, suffocating us with their heat while not burning a single item. They danced closer to Beron, and matching flames were lit in Aelin's eyes as she leaned incrementally closer to him and purred, "The Autumn Court is known for its fire isn't it Beron? Well, go ahead, put out my flame." Beron was sweating as his power flailed, looking for purchase in the vicious fire, and finding none. The flames close to Beron edged up another level as Aelin growled, "You may be the High Lord of Autumn, but do you know what they call me? The Fire Breathing Bitch Queen. Don't make me defend my title."