41: 1994; Exempted

DRACO'S POV

Wednesday, January 5

We were all back at Hogwarts, Holidays were over. I entered the common room with all the arriving students. I got up to my dorm and faced Blaise who was unpacking.

"Why didn't you come to my family's christmas party?"

"I was away, I went to California with my parents."

I nodded before I started putting my stuff away.

"Was it fun?"

"Yes! My parents accepted that we pass by
Y/N's old neighborhood."

"Why did you want to go there?"

"To se Emma..."

"Emma?"

"Y/N's bestfriend! I told you about her!"

"Oh right! The girl you snogged on Halloween night."

"We didn't just snog! Come on Draco, we really connected. We've been writing ever since and I think I'm in love." He said looking at all the open letters on his desk, while smiling like an idiot.

"Dumb." I said.

"When you'll be in love, you'll understand."

"Love's not for me."

"How do you know?"

"I just know. That's what my dad used to say. Love is for the weaks."

"So he doesn't love your mum?"

"See it as a sort of financial arrangement." I said.

"Okay well, when's the last time that your father actually said something clever."

"You got a point." I said folding Y/N's clothes that she left at my house, smiling.

I really didn't feel like going back to class, but here I was. Getting into my uniform, on my way to Professor Trelawney's class.

But before I could even open the door it flung open. Pansy was standing in front of me. She stepped forward and slapped me.

"What is that for?!" I yelled.

"I hate you Malfoy!"

"Well so do I!"

"You were such a jerk to me at the party?"

"Excuse me? You were the one attacking me in the hallway and you brought Y/N over, not me!"

"And of course you had to get drunk with her?"

"What I do does not concern you! And how do you even know that!"

"Because when you finally got out of your room you were drunk!"

"Okay and? Why are you mad? We're not together and we'll never be!"

She stormed out of the room and slammed the door.

"Now, I regret missing your party." Blaise said.

I chuckled and left the room. Pansy was seriously starting to get on my nerves. She's the reason this night turned the way it did and now she was mad.

On my way to divination class, Snape stopped me.

"Come in my office."

I followed him.

"Sit." He demanded

A minute after, Y/N entered the room. I looked at her, wondering why we were here.

"Dumbledore put me in charge to tell you both that you got exempted of a class.
Ms. Y/L/N you will have charms removed from your schedule and divination will be out of yours, Mr. Malfoy. You will be going into the library to study while you're supposed to be in these classes."

We looked at each other, not knowing what to say.

"Sir, may I ask why we got exempted?" I asked.

He sighed. "Because you've been having remarkable grades in these subjects so we figured that you could use this time to study for your more lacking classes. Now, off you go."

We got up and left the room. I started walking towards the library, since I was supposed to have divination in first period.

I heard footsteps behind me, I looked and it was Y/N.

"Stalking me Y/N?" I said, smirking.

"Oh, don't flatter yourself Malfoy, I have charms first period."

When we entered the library a couple of students were here too. She took a table at the back of the room, I sat next to her.

"What are you doing?" She murmured.

"Well, I figured we could both use a little bit of company."

"Fine."

She opened her book and started reading. I did the same.

A few minutes had passed and without taking her eyes off of her book she started tying her hair up, revealing her neck.

I couldn't help, but look at her. She looked good. I saw a locket around her neck and chuckled.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing." I answered.

She was wearing my gift. Of course she didn't know I was the one who sent it, but still, it suited her well.

Y/N'S POV

I was tired of reading so I peaked at what Draco was doing. He was writing an essay. I looked closely and saw that it was for transfiguration class. Something caught my attention. The way he wrote his 's' looked familiar. It had a little loop at the bottom of it.

I kept the note that came with the secret gift I got on Christmas night. I took it out of my bag and discretely compared it to Malfoy's parchment.

He looked up at me, then looked at the paper I was holding and finally at his essay.

"You're clever Y/N."

"It's your 's'." I said putting the note next to his paper.

"You should've changed your handwriting on the note." I added.

"I would've done that if I didn't want you to find out it was from me." He said, reaching for the gem around my neck.

"Pink tourmaline, the owner of this gem will seek joy and deep-"

"Love. They will always express their enthusiasm for life. But why Draco?" I cut him.

"Maybe because I know that you're not in love with Ginny and you deserve to be with someone with who you have a deep connection." He said, sending shivers down my body.

"Also, I'm happy we're on first names basis now." He said taking his books up and leaving the room.

"Wait!" I said.

He turned back.

"Thanks for the gift. Is there something you want? I feel bad that I didn't get you anything and you did."

"A great gift could be, for you to seek happiness and not restrain yourself to a relationship in which you're not really happy." He said with a small smile.

It was the first time I saw him smile and not smirk or grin at me.