25 • Try • 25

CHAPTER 25• CHARLIE •

CHAPTER 25
• CHARLIE •

When the Guests were finally leaving, I was so done with the dinner party. My Mom and Peter told my stepbrother's and me that we were responsible for cleaning up.

Taylor had stayed behind with Jason, but they were just about to leave. I was picking up the empty glasses that were dotted around the room when I caught Taylor's eye. "You wanna go to see Joe?" She asked me. "He texted me, he's still at work."

I shrugged and looked at what was left to clear up. I would probably be another hour.

"You're not going anywhere until we're done." Harry told me as he put away unfinished wine bottles in the fridge.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't say I was going to leave you three to do all the work." I replied, narrowing his eyes at him.

I turned back to Taylor, who was looking at me expectantly.

"Go see Joe. I'll meet you there in an hour or so? There's no point in you hanging around here watching us clean. You've got better things to do. Besides, I've got something I want to do."

I was sick of waiting now, I'd rather go and confront Billy. It would be better to get it over with.

"Oh, sure." Taylor nodded. "What you wanting to do?"

"I'm going to go and see you know who." I whispered.

Taylor's eyes widened and shook her head. "No. Don't go to him. He should come to you!" Taylor protested.

"I'm impatient." I shrugged. "I want answers now. Not a blunt text next week."

Taylor sighed. "it's your funeral, sweetie." She glanced at the boys who seemed to be trying, but failing to hear our conversation. "Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

I shook my head. "No. It's a waste of your time. Go have fun with Joe. I wanna do this alone, anyways."

"Fine. But call if you change your mind?"

"Yes, now go. I'll see you soon." I told her and Jason came over and said goodbye to me and then the two of them let themselves out.

I turned back to the mess that was our kitchen and took some plates over to Tommy, who was loading the dishwasher. I decided to help him and began to stacking the plates.

"You're going out tonight?" Tommy asked me.

"Yup. It is the weekend."

"Who you meeting?"

I shrugged. "You know... just Taylor and Joe." I replied, keeping my eyes down on the plate I was scrubbing. It was only when I looked up that I realised that he was watching me closely. "What?"

"I can tell you're hiding something."

"Do I need to tell you everything?" I snapped, but sighed when I saw the hurt in his eyes. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't like people prying into my life."