59 • Below the surface • 59

A couple of weeks passed with me barely saying a word to my Mom or my Dad

A couple of weeks passed with me barely saying a word to my Mom or my Dad. Constantly, she reminded me that they were still discussing whether I should go with him or not. I think telling them the truth about what happened with Billy, may have helped them understand why I ended up in his car that night, but even if they could show me more understanding, it didn't mean their minds had changed.

On another boring Friday night, I sat by the pool with my feet dangling in the water. I hadn't had much of a social life lately. Tommy and I had managed to binge watch the entirety of friends and Harry had forced me to watch the Wolf of Wall Street or some football game with him. Sebastian had become more distant again. He didn't say much to me, but I knew he was around.

I was around the house a lot more than I usually was. I figured the sooner I rest, the sooner I can be fine and get out. I had been thinking a lot about the idea of being sent away and no matter how much I thought about it, I still knew I didn't want to go. I couldn't leave Long Shore. Not now. It was my home.

Surprisingly, I had been off school for two weeks with my parents permission. They had thought it was best for me to stay at home and rest on the condition Tommy and Harry gave me their notes when they came home from school and i read through them. It was crazy how a full day of school's work only took me an hour or so to read.

Whilst our parents were at work, I was doing a lot of thinking. Alice had been on my mind a lot of the time too. When my Mom and Peter weren't around, I started going through some of Alice's old stuff. I hadn't found much, but I was looking for something in particular and I hadn't found it yet. I just needed something that could tell me more about what was going on when she died. So far, Alice's death had left me with a lot of questions and that scared me.

Knowing Alice was drinking the night she died was shocking to me. It unnerved me. Alice drinking was not something I'd ever even imagined. It wasn't like her at all. Many times Alice had lectured me about drinking and even had ago at Joe for participating in it or encouraging me. I couldn't believe that it was something like that, which helped get her killed. My mind was struggling to wrap itself around the idea.

"Charlie!" I heard Tommy call to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I didn't look up, but I could guess Tommy had entered the back garden to see me facing the now setting sun. I had my white sunglasses on as I admired it. It was crazy how almost dying makes you a lot more appreciative of seeing just another sunset.

"Charlotte?" I heard another voice call.

This time I looked up to see Tommy and Harry walking out of the backdoor, spotting me sat by the pool. I had my feet dangling in the water. A couple of hours ago I had left my room. I suppose my boredom had taken me to sit by the pool and watch the water.

"Get up." Harry commanded, looking down at me with his eyebrows furrowed together like the sight before him confused me.

I look at him, unphased. "Why?"