41 • The decisions made for you • 41

I sat on the sun lounger by the pool, trying to ignore the racket Harry was blasting out of his speaker beside me

I sat on the sun lounger by the pool, trying to ignore the racket Harry was blasting out of his speaker beside me. But, unfortunately, he was enjoying the perks of being the designated driver a little too much for my liking.

I crossed one of my legs over the other as I glanced at him, tilting my dark sunglasses down in his direction. My head hurt from the sudden burst of light that invaded my vision, but I ignored it and focused on my irritation.

"Harry, I know I've got to stay on your good side right now, but turn that crap down," I stated, glaring at him.

Harry glanced up from the book he was reading with a smirk tugging at his lips. Amusement flashed through his eyes as he glanced at me. I could only imagine what he was seeing. I sat on the sun lounger in my yellow bikini with dark sunglasses resting on my nose. A copy of the Great Gatsby rested on my stomach, and my phone was beside me. My hair was probably not the neatest, looking like I'd just gotten out of bed or had spent the day by the beach.

Either way, I was a stark contrast to my beloved stepbrother. He looked so calm and relaxed, like he was in his element. Unlike me, he couldn't have had a throbbing headache or a churning stomach that he couldn't tell whether he was hungry, tired, or sick. His throat probably wasn't dry, and his body wasn't burning up. Harry had tried on the clothes of the poster child of not drinking alcohol, and I was left wishing I had followed in his footsteps.

Why did I go to that party?

"Remind me, did you catch Jack's insurance details?"

I glared at him. "Insurance details? It wasn't a fucking car crash. Does insurance even cover something like that?"

"i don't know." Harry shrugged. "We would know if we'd stuck around any longer --"

"-- You know, you're making me remember why I think of you as an asshole."

Harry winked at me. "If you thought I was just going to pretend last night didn't happen, you've got another thing coming."

I raised an eyebrow at him, feeling slightly unnerved. He'd agreed to keep what happened between us, but was he planning on keeping that promise? He may have said he was on my side last night, but had he changed his mind after sleeping on it? Could he be even more loyal to Sebastian and his friend than he wanted me to believe?

I looked at him, trying to hide my fear. "What do you mean by that."

Harry shrugged and looked back at his phone. "We'll have to see."

I felt my eyebrows furrow together as I looked at him, but he wasn't meeting my eyes. I was getting the sense that he hadn't decided how to deal with what had happened. It was like he was still considering everything that happened and had to do that before he could make his next move.

"Do you regret it?" I asked him, almost nervously.

I had to ask the question. I didn't want to know whether Harry had changed his mind and regretted sticking up for me, but I had to know. I had made it clear I was an enemy of Jack Williams, and I didn't know what the consequences would be.