62 • Cat's out • 62

Sebastian pulled in the driveway less than thirty minutes after I'd walked away from Billy

Sebastian pulled in the driveway less than thirty minutes after I'd walked away from Billy. Luckily, Billy had listened to me and left when I walked away. My stepbrother's seemed to understand I didn't want them to get into another fight with him too. So, the three of them followed me back to my friends.

I said goodbye to Joe and Taylor, promising to text them more. The pair of them were apparently fed up with how distant I'd been. I knew it was fair of them to say that. We were close, but lately being alone had suited me well. I just needed some time to think. I wasn't going to feel bad about that. Then the four of us headed to Sebastian's car.

"Wait," I said when we pulled into the drive only realising we were home.

The boys looked startled by the sound of my voice. They'd asked me how I was doing at least every five minutes since we got in the car, but I barely even hummed a response.

"What are we going to tell our parents?" I questioned.

The boys looked to each other with looks of confusion. I didn't get it, there was no reason for them to be confused. It was obvious if we didn't come up with an explanation for the events of tonight, somebody was going to get into trouble and I knew that somebody would be me.

"It's fine, Charlie." Tommy tried to reassure me. He reached over and placed his hand on my knee. "We haven't done anything wrong. it'll be fine."

"We haven't?" I repeated. "Have you not noticed the cut on Harry's lip? We don't look like we've gone out for a milkshake."

Harry turned around in the passengers seat and met my worried eyes. "You're all good, Charl. We've got your back. You didn't do anything. Whatever happens, you'll be fine, okay?"

I bit my lip and looked down at my lap. I couldn't take my Mom finding out about this. It was all good and well for them to try and reassure me, but they weren't on their last straw with her. I was. The steaks were only high for one person in this car.

"I shouldn't have come." I shook my head, regretting ever agreeing in the first place. "I don't want to be sent away. I can't live with him."

I felt all eyes on me as they listened to my vulnerable honesty. I'd never really tried to be honest with all three of them. Yet, here I was trying to make sure they understood things from my perspective.

"Look, you won't have to if you don't want to." Sebastian told me. "Dad's against it anyway, he'll be making his view are obvious to Daisy. They'll carry some weight."

I looked at Sebastian, unconvinced. "No offence, I like Peter and he's been nothing, but good to me. The issue is, he's not my father. If both my parents decide it's what's best, it will happen whether I like it or not."

Sebastian swallowed hard and looked away from me like he couldn't listen to this conversation much more. Confusion hit me as I tried to understand what he was thinking. From the backseat, I saw him shake his head, but I couldn't see his eyes.