68 • I'm not drunk, seriously • 68

AT THIS POINT, I wasn't sure how many drinks I'd had

Taylor and Joe were great friends, I had to give them that. They knew I needed them tonight and they hadn't left my side, despite how many times I argued with them when they tried to stop me from having another drink.

I was drunk and I couldn't care less.

"Charlie do you want to go home yet? You can stay at mine." Taylor said, tugging on my arm as I leaned against the kitchen counter after pouring myself another drink.

"Why have you got to be such a buzz kill? I'm having fun, can't you?" I sighed, looking at my best friend like she had disappointed me.

Taylor's face fell at my words and she looked away from me like she was trying to compose herself.

"Little harsh, char." Joe said to me, raising his eyebrows at me. 

I rolled my eyes, "I just want to have fun tonight, is that so bad?"

"No, Charlie. It's not." Taylor replied looking at me rather reluctantly before turning to Joe. "I'm going to be the silent sober baby-sitter tonight I think." She mumbled.

I chose not to reply to her comment because despite feeling irritated by her critique on my life choices, I felt my heart swell at the fact that she had  made it clear to me that she was still here for me even though I had tried to push her away.

"I think it's a good idea for you to stay at Taylor's tonight, Char." Joe suggested.

"Yes, sounds amazing," I replied, suddenly eyeing two familiar brunette's head outside.

Where had I seen them before?

"Good." Taylor smiled, finally looking pleased with herself. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pee."

"Wait, Taylor." Joe said, grabbing her arm before she could leave. "Do you not want one of us to come with you?"

"Why?" Taylor said, a defiant tone underlying her voice. "I know how to go to the bathroom alone."

"Can we go outside and get some air? It's hot in here." I interrupted, suddenly feeling a wave of heat washing over me.

I guess Joe was still scarred by the last time we had been to a party together.

Joe turned from Taylor to me. "Yeah, but just wait a sec." He looked back at Taylor. "It's not that, I just would rather us stick together."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. Taylor and me were probably thinking the same thing. If Taylor was a boy, Joe wouldn't have a problem with her going alone. He was right in some ways, but it's a bit sexist to believe only girls are vulnerable at parties.  The statistics say otherwise.

"It's good to know you care, Joe." Taylor smiled. "But I'm sober, don't worry about me. Worry about her." Taylor told him, nodding to me.

I gave him a slight smile before taking a sip from my cup to hide it.