66 • my favourite book • 66

After speaking with Jason, I devised a plan

After speaking with Jason, I devised a plan. While Sebastian was out the following evening at the gym, I was going to search his room.

He had secrets, and there was something he was not telling me. I was aware this may all be in my head, but Jack has indicated Sebastian has secrets. I couldn't be sure whether Jack was referring to something that was none of my business or something else. I have this feeling there's something I ought to know about Sebastian.

I sunbathed on the roof outside my bedroom window while waiting for them to leave. Once they were gone, I was ready to head inside. However, a stone being thrown at my shoe stopped me in my place. I turned quickly to see a dark figure gazing at me in the garden.

Panic seized through me as I realised it could be my stepbrother's returning. The voice that called out my name was the only thing that could calm those concerns. I strained my eyes to try and make out the face of the person standing in the darkness, but I only registered who it was when I heard them say my name again.

Billy.

"What are you doing here?" I almost shout.

"Charlie, I need to talk to you," Billy says to me, desperation lying under his words.

"And? I don't remember saying I wanted to talk to you." I snarled.

"Please, Charlie. I want to make things right with you. I don't feel right about how everything went down."

"Have they not put you in jail yet?"

I decided to stay put and crossed my arms over my chest. But, of course, I couldn't help but slightly enjoy my major height advantage over Billy.

"Can I come up? Can we talk?"

"Yeah, sure. Why don't you try and climb up here?" I suggested, trying not to let the amusement of the idea come through in my tune. The vines had been taken down; it wasn't an easy climb anymore. He'd struggle climbing up here, and I'd like nothing more than to watch him struggle.

My smirk soon faltered when my expectations deceived me. Billy had no problem climbing up to me. He did it even easier than could when the vines were still there.

"I used to go rock climbing." Billy shrugged, sitting down next to me.

I raised my eyebrows and pretended to be unimpressed. If I'd known Billy could get up smoothly, I would never have given him my permission.

"Well, I hope you enjoyed it because this conversation is not happening," I replied, standing up and climbing back through the window.

I heard him call after me before his voice was tuned out by me shutting the window. I had to try my hardest not to let a smile creep onto my face. If I wasn't so mad at him, I would have laughed. Seeing him locked outside my bedroom window was the best situation I had ever seen him in. Part of me wished my stepbrothers could have seen it too. If this wasn't karma, I didn't know what was.