06 • It's Nice To Have A Friend• 06

• CHARLIE •

• CHARLIE •

I spent half of the night lying awake watching the storm out of the fragile glass windows. I was scared that the glass would get shattered by the harsh winds, but it seemed to have survived the night.

"Morning." Joe said to me, sitting up groggily. "How long you been awake for?"

"Mmh, about an hour. I had a rough sleep."

"You could have said, I would have lied awake with you."

"That's hardly fair when I get to go back home today, and you have to go to work." I told him.

"Who cares — at least I wouldn't be hungover." Joe replied.

"Generally, when I'm hungover I'm tired and feeling gross anyway." I said. "I kind of feel like that right now."

Joe turned to look out the window. It was still drizzling outside, but the sun was shining. The weather had improved since last night.

"Do you think there's much damage?" Joe asked me.

"From the storm?" I asked and Joe nodded. "It's hard to tell, but seeing as though I couldn't get hold of my mom last night, I'm guessing the phone lines were down."

"Speaking of your mom, we should head back. She'll be worried. Have you tried calling her again?" Joe asked.

"Phones dead." I replied, running a hand through my still wet hair.

"So's mine it seems." Joe replied as he tried to turn it on, but all he got was a black screen.

"Good thing I don't have your Mom for my mom." He said.

Joe's Mom was the opposite of mine. She had left his Dad freshman year and had moved to Seattle when she was promoted to be the head of marketing for her company. He didn't see her much apart from once every so often in the holiday.

When Joe's left, I realised I could have it worse with my Mom. She could have left instead of my Dad, but she didn't. It was only this that made me try to appreciate my Mom even just a little bit, even though she was impossible sometimes.

"Tell me about it. She's probably going ballistic." I sighed, standing up.

"Good to know she cares though? My Dad won't even have noticed."

"Your Dad maybe a selfish bastard, but his job does keep him busy."

"I know. I just wish it could keep him busy 24/7. Then my life would be a lot better."

The two of us headed outside and we started walking along the beach. It must have been about 7:00am as the sun seemed to have just come out. Somehow, I sensed myself wishing we had been gone longer. No one may have noticed I was gone.

I turned to Joe. "You know, I've come to a conclusion."

"Oh yeah, what?"

"I really like pushing people's buttons."