72 • Exile • 72

After finding out Peter was my real father, My mother tried to stop me when I left, but both Peter and my Dad told her to let me go

After finding out Peter was my real father, My mother tried to stop me when I left, but both Peter and my Dad told her to let me go. For once, they were thinking about things from my perspective. As I took off towards the front door, I heard arguments break out between my stepbrother's and our parents. I realised this was hard on them too, but I couldn't fight this battle with them right now. I needed a minute. When I had the all clear, I left the house without any of the intervention.

I needed space and I needed to breathe.

I spent the rest of the week staying at my Nana's house. I told my Nana everything and she gave me nothing, but honesty. Nana admitted she had suspected something when my parents split after having Alice. She explained the separation was no more than a year and my mother called her up telling her about this guy she was dating, but my mother never introduced Nana to him. The relationship didn't last too long, but my Nana recalled the man my Mom was seeing leaving for England to patch things up with his ex wife. When my Nana found out my Mom was pregnant with me, she suspected my father's wasn't the child's biological father. However, she told me she decided to keep her thoughts to herself, knowing my mother wouldn't tell her anything unless she wanted to and my Mom never did.

From my Nana's house, I went to school and kept to myself. I had no contact with any of my parents or my so called brother's and kept my phone off so that I didn't get tempted by reading any texts or unexpected phone calls. My Nana got a call at least every evening from my family and she entertained it. I'd hear her from the next room giving them an update on my well-being before she'd call to me to see if i wanted to talk to them. The answer was always no.

At school, I stuck closely to my friends and skipped English class so I didn't have to sit between Harry and Tommy. I'd catch glimpses of my stepbrother's in the hallways and at lunch. They'd watch from afar, but never approached me. Freya had tried to talk to me on Sebastian's behalf, but I could barely listen to the conversation. Jack even approached me, telling me that my stepbrother's (or whatever I'm supposed to call them now) were staying at his house at the moment while his parents were away. Jack even went as far as to invite me over in case I wanted to talk to them someplace that wasn't school or our parents house. Although surprised by the offer, I declined it. I settled with telling Jack to ask them to give me some space too.

Once two weeks had passed, My Mother finally had enough of respecting my space. She turned up on my Nana's doorstep, demanding to be let in. I snuck out of the house as soon as my Nana answered the door. I knew there was only so long my Nana could resist opening the door and forcing my mother to face her disapproving gaze. I may be the biggest disappointment to my mother, but my mother was my Nana's greatest disappointment and she wasn't shy about telling her.

I left the house without being seen and found myself walking around my Nana's neighbourhood. It wasn't too far from where Jack lived, but I forbid myself to go and see my stepbrother's. As childish as it was, I wanted everyone to feel my absence. My mother had threatened to send me away and both Peter and Mark had walked away from me. Now that it was my choice to walk away from them all, I wanted them to know how it feels.