26 • Taylor's drunk? • 26

CHAPTER 26• CHARLIE •

CHAPTER 26
• CHARLIE •

As I approached Cafe Rocks, I heard the music blaring out of the place. I could tell that Joe or Taylor was to blame as the Kids In America were playing, it was one of mine, Taylor's and Joe's favourites.

When I pushed open the feeble cafe door, I noticed the Cafe was busier than I had expected it to be. Joe and Taylor had invited some people they knew from school.

I recognised Chris Stevens, Joe's other co-worker. Chris Stevens went to Longshore High too, but he was a senior. I didn't know him too well, but I could tell from a couple of faces in the cafe that he had also invited some friends.

Apart from Chris, Joe had invited Josh Grayson, Elliott Porter and Riley Fielder. I didn't know them too much, but Joe knew them from his classes. Taylor had invited Tiffany Flores and Ana Shore, the only friends that she made out of her time on the cheerleading squad. I also noticed that Jason had tagged along and brought his old high school best friend with him, Austin Cartwright.

"Charlie!" Taylor called to me, excitedly. She bounced over to me and slung one arm around me. "I'm so glad you're finally here." She slurred.

I looked her up and down as I felt I was holding more of her weight than she was. "How much have you had to drink?"

"A lot." A voice answered for her and I looked up to see Jason stood before me.

I chuckled slightly. "I can see that."

Jason shook his head, unamused. "It's the worst I've ever seen her. I'm gonna take her into the back to get her some water." Jason told me, putting Taylor's other arm around himself. "It's good to see you, Charlie." He said and he and Taylor disappeared into the back of the cafe.

I looked around, alone again. I couldn't believe how many people had filled up Cafe Rocks. What surprised me most was how many friends Taylor and Joe seemed to have. I always forgot they had a couple of other friends, whereas they were my only friends.

"Hey, Locke." Joe greeted me when he saw me. "Where you been hiding?"

"Long story. Got any beer?"

"You know I have." Joe said and took my hand, leading me behind the counter.

Joe had a couple of crates of beer stacked behind it. Joe turned his back to me and reached into the fridge, grabbing a beer and putting it on the counter. Then, Joe picked up a couple more beers from one of the crates and put them in the fridge.

Joe used the counter top as a bottle opener and forced the beer open. "Here", he said, handing it to me.

"Thanks." I replied, taking a sip.

"So, what's the story?" Joe asked me, leaning on the counter.

I sighed and pulled myself up to sit on the counter. "I went to see Billy."