37 • Not the distraction i had in mind • 37

The next couple of days went by fast

The next couple of days went by fast. I barely gave anything, but my Dad's return a second thought. I couldn't believe he was actually here back in Long Shore. He'd been gone for so long it was like there was no place for Ho anymore.

"You really should quit staring at the pool, you're gonna turn into some form of mad woman in the attic or something. Just with you it'll be like the crazy girl sat by the pool." Tommy said from the other side of the pool, walking away from the house.

From where I was sat with my legs dangled over the edge of the pool, I saw Tommy come over from the house and sit down besides me. I rolled my eyes at the expectant look he was wearing on his face.

"That comment you just made tells me you haven't paid attention much in English. I don't quite meet the depiction you're trying to achieve, but it was really flattering either way."

Tommy smirked at me. "Anytime." He said and looking down at an English book I had on my lap. "You're studying for the English test?"

I sighed. "Trying to, but every time I try to look at my notes or go to find a quote in the book,
It just reminds me of Alice and then I'm reminded of my Dad. I guess that's how I got here, feeling sorry for myself."

It was why I came out to the pool, being in my room was driving me insane. Everywhere I looked there was something to remind me of my Dad or my sister. Our here by the pool, everything felt new.

Tommy gave me a sympathetic smile. "It must be hard living in a town full of ghosts."

I bit my lip. "Yeah, except it's like my Dad was a ghost and has come back to life, reminding me of everything I haven't really moved on from."

"Sounds like you need a ghost hunter."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, something like that. Maybe an ouija board or something like that will do the trick."

"How would an ouija board help you?"

I smiled in amusement slightly, "advice from a dead person would be a very priceless thing."

Tommy looked confused, but soon seemed to understand what I was getting at as I saw a flicker of realisation flash through his blue eyes. "You want advice from Alice?"

I nodded. "You're quicker than I thought." I complimented. "Asking Alice what she'd do or what she think I should do with my Dad would be good."

"Well, seeing as though you can't have that because she's... gone, why don't you try and figure out what she might have said?"

"I don't know." I replied. "I can make up a million different conversations with her in my head, but it's not the same. She's not here. I can't pretend she is, my mind won't let me. It's weird, she appears in my dreams sometimes and even then, something inside me knows she's already gone."

"Okay, well how about you try and put all the advice and things other people say out of your head and think about what you wanna do yourself?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "You say that, but what if I don't know what i want?"