57 • pain? Never heard of her • 57

I swallowed hard when my eyes landed on Mr Hudson

I swallowed hard when my eyes landed on Mr Hudson. Whatever reason he is here for, it couldn't be good.

My attention diverted to Joe when he came into view. I saw the side of his lip go up into a half-smile when his eyes met mine. It was a smile of relief, a grateful smile. Joe walked straight towards me and I stood up just in time for him to wrap his arms around me and I was wrapped in his warm embrace.

"You know how to scare the crap out of me." Joe said into my hair.

I let out a small laugh and pulled away from him. I'd never been so happy to see him.

"Sorry." I said, "you know me, always got to be dramatic."

Joe smirked, but couldn't say anything before we were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. I looked over my shoulder to see my Mom and Mr Hudson stood behind us. Mr Hudson was looking at us impatiently as if him being here was the last place he wanted to be.

"You're looking well, Charlie." Mr Hudson greeted me. I realised I hadn't seen him for a very long time. "Considering."

"Could have been worse," I shrugged. "I'm alright."

Mr Hudson nodded and glanced to my Mom, not bothering to hide the disgruntled look he had on his face.

"Why don't you sit back down, Charlotte?" My Mom directed, clearly wanting to move this along. It was a reminder that she disliked
Mr Hudson as much as I did. This was the worst part of this kind of deja vu — having to deal with him again.

I looked to my Mom with a questioning look, but went and sat back down next to Harry. Joe took this as his que to sit besides me, whereas the boys remained silently seated as if they didn't want to alert us to their presence. I suppose they weren't sure if they should stay if should go.

"This will just take a minute, Charlie." Mr Hudson said. "I wanted to talk to you about the accident. We can talk out here or in private if you prefer?"

I glanced to my Mom. I didn't know what was appropriate in this situation.

"I'd prefer it if I was present." My Mom answered for me.

Mr Hudson nodded and glanced to my stepbrothers and Joe. I realised he was wondering if I wanted to talk to him without an audience of one of more persons.

"They can stay, I don't mind." I replied.

Mr Hudson nodded and scratched the back of his head. "It's more of a formality why I'm here because you were present to a crime."

"I'm sorry?" I questioned, looking to my Mom, who was watching me cautiously.

"Your boyfriend, Billy Montgomery."

"He's not my boyfriend." I corrected.

Mr Hudson looked at me like what I had just said was irrelevant to him. "Even so, we're charging Montgomery for driving under the influence."