56 • what is he doing here? • 56

A few hours later, Tommy woke me up for dinner and helped me get down the stairs

A few hours later, Tommy woke me up for dinner and helped me get down the stairs. The only perk of getting in a car accident so far was that Peter started told the boys to help set the table, but he didn't tell me to do anything. All Peter wanted from me was to sit down and rest. It was the first time that sounded good to me.

I sat down at the table just as Harry was putting the plates down. He ruffled my hair as he put one down in front of me, before moving onto the next seat.

"How you feeling, Charl?" Peter asked me, walking over to the table with a saucepan filled with pasta.

I bit my lip as I felt Peter stand besides me, dishing out some pasta onto my plate just as Tommy and Harry took their seats. They were all watching me so I looked down, keeping my eyes on the plate.

I hadn't slept much. I couldn't. Every time I shut my eyes, my mind turned on and suddenly i'd open my eyes involuntarily and the ceiling would become extremely interesting.

"Better. The sleep helped." I replied, watching Peter fill my plate up with pasta. I didn't dare look up, I was too afraid they'd see right through me. "That's enough, thank you."

"That's good. Your Mom put some pain meds on the counter if you need them." Peter told me, squeezing my shoulder before moving onto serve some of the food onto Tommy's plate.

"More Dad, that's nowhere near enough. I'm starving." Tommy said.

"Mm, well you can have seconds if there's any left. All right, Tom?" Peter replied.

"Give me some of Sebastian's portion. He's already stacked enough, it'll help me and Harry catch up."

"Hey!" Harry said, turning to his brother. "I am stacked."

"All right, boys. Enough." Peter said, coming over and sitting down at one end of the table.

"Where's Mom?" I asked him, noticing she wasn't here.

"On the phone. She said she'd join us in a bit." Peter said. "She told us not to wait, food will get cold. Eat, kids."

I looked at my food, untempted by it. I had no apetite, I was hardly hungry.

"Everything all right, Charlotte?" Peter asked me.

"Yeah, I'm just not very hungry." I replied.

"If you're not going to finish it I can help you -" Tommy began, but was cut off by Harry stabbing his fork into Tommy's hand. "Hey! What was that for?"

"Let Charlotte and me eat in peace." Harry said. "Your eyes are bigger than your plate."

Tommy rolled his eyes. "I'm hungry. Hospital food taste's like dog shit."

"Language, Tommy." Peter scolded and turned to me. "But he's right, you need to get some decent food in you."

"You call this decent?" Harry scoffed, looking at his Dad in amusement. "How much water did you put in the sauce, Dad?"