54 • i hope she will be a beautiful fool • 54

I was discharged from the hospital pretty soon

I was discharged from the hospital pretty soon. I could still feel the effects of the crash, but I was in no where as much physical pain as I was before.

"You ready?" Peter asked me as I forced myself to stand up. "You've been really strong, Charlotte."

I gave him a small smile, but I felt anything, but strong right now. As I stood up, my whole body hated me for it. The injury in my leg was luckily luckily healing, but I could still feel the pain.

"Yeah just about." I replied.

I glanced around the room to see everyone was ready to leave, they were just waiting on me.

"Do you want to drive back with me in my car or with Peter in the other car?" My Mom asked me.

I froze at the word drive, I didn't want to drive anywhere. Not now. Not ever.

"Can I walk?" I replied, letting out a shaky laugh.

My Mom and Peter looked to each other with concern filling their eyes. The boys seemed to look to me and then to each other with regret. Although I hadn't exactly said it, everyone was aware of what I was alluding to — effects of an accident linger.

"Don't be ridiculous." My Mom said. Her voice didn't sound as firm as she would have liked. The concern was evident in the way I heard her emotions lace her words. "With your leg and how long it would take you to get home, that isn't a good idea." My Mom said, shaking her head.

I don't ever want to get in a car again.

"You'll be safe, Charl." Tommy reassured me.

I tried to nod, but I could barely manage it. I didn't know if I'd ever feel safe in a car again.

"If it reassures you, go back with my Dad. He's the slowest driver I've ever seen." Harry said to me.

I nodded, but I looked at him uneasily. I didn't care if he was the slowest driver ever. I didn't want to get in a car with anyone.

"It's fine. I'm fine. Whatever works." I said.

Nothing worked. Nothing would. I didn't care, which car I drove back in. I didn't want to be in either car.

"Well come on, then. You can come back in mine." My Mom said.

I nodded. I'd rather be told what to than have to decide for myself. My decisions tend to lead me to difficult situations. I don't want to make any decisions anymore. I can't be trusted.

"I'll come with." Tommy said, giving me a sweet smile.

I nodded again and my Mom smiled and headed towards the door.

Tommy came over to me and wrapped an arm around me, turning me towards the door.

"We'll see you at home then." Peter said to us. "You'll be fine, Charl. Don't worry about it, okay?" He said, his eyes were kind as they looked at me.