28 • A token of loyalty • 28

Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Taylor, Joe and I sat down with Billy and his friends. I made sure that I got the seat besides Billy and he smiled at me. They seemed to have taken a crate of beer and were just talking amongst themselves rather than being inside the party.

"How come you guys are out here?" I said, mainly looking at Billy for an answer.

"Fresh air." Billy shrugged. "You want another beer?" Billy asked me, his eyes watching me.

"Sure." I smiled and he passed me a can.

The six of us sat down looking out at the sea for about quite some time. It felt good to just hang out with Billy with friends for a bit because it took the pressure off of having something to say. Billy asked me how I spent my week and I told him about the dinner party and having to entertain Jack Williams' parents. I could tell Billy picked up on how much I disliked Jack Williams.

"You're stepbrothers, they're here?" Billy asked me, seemingly surprised that they had come.

I nodded. "They're hanging out with Bill's son, Chris Stevens. I didn't realise they knew each other."

Billy nodded, but I could tell by the way his jaw clenched slightly that he wasn't happy that they had actually come. I suppose it was Billy's place of work and they had come not by his or Joe's invitation, but by mine.

"Are you getting on with them better now?" He asked me.

I shrugged. "They practically slut shamed me for hanging out with you." I said and I watched as his eyebrows furrowed slightly in anger. "Tommy seems to be nice to be, though. Don't get me wrong, he'd rather I wasn't hanging around with you, but he's not being mean to me because of it. Sebastian's still cold and blunt, though. And Harry's just confusing. I don't get him."

Billy nodded. "I guess it's only natural for you guys to at least be able to tolerate them, I just didn't expect you to invite them here today."

I raised my eyebrows, wondering if he was mad at me for inviting them. "Tommy drove me to see you. He did me a favour. I wanted to do something nice in return." I explained.

Billy nodded. "Fair enough." He said and gave me a small smile.

I bit my lip and took a sip of my beer. It was weird. I had a slightly torn feeling in my stomach. I wanted to see where me and Billy could go, but it was like me being with him now was doing wrong by my stepbrothers and being able to get on with my stepbrother's was having the same affect to Billy.  I just wished they could all get along.

Distracting me from my thoughts, I heard Sadie's voice. "Are they doing work on the cafe?" Sadie asked.

Joe and Billy looked at each other and shrugged. "Yeah, something like that." Joe shrugged, looking at the scaffolding.