58 • behind her mask • 58

Joe and me fell asleep watching a movie

Joe and me fell asleep watching a movie. When I woke up, I was glad for the sleep. Though, he couldn't magically shut off my mind's thoughts or the sinking feeling that had taken up residence in my stomach since the accident, Joe helped. Having Joe here, relaxed me in some weird way. I figured it was because I was used to him and a distraction. Joe was like my safety, my comfort blanket or something.

However, my stepbrother didn't feel the same way when he wondered into my bedroom the next morning. Tommy walked into my room acting rather awkwardly when he saw Joe was still here. He told me breakfast was ready and warned me my Dad was joining us. Both Joe and Tommy helped me down the stairs.

The conversations at breakfast were casual. Although, Peter did say something to my Mom about how he was unhappy how she was okay with Joe staying the night. I heard him say he wouldn't let the boys do it and so she couldn't let me do it. My mother dismissed him, telling him there was nothing going on between me and Joe, but Peter still didn't seem happy. He muttered something about how it can't be one rule for me and one rule for the boys.

When we finished breakfast, I wasn't surprised that Joe took that as his opportunity to leave. I didn't speak to my father or anyone much during the breakfast, I just listened to everyone's small talk. Despite that, I wanted him to stay, but I knew he couldn't. My Mom was going to force me to talk to my father after breakfast and Joe didn't have to stay for it.

When the kitchen was clear, my Mom suggested we go out to the garden to talk. Talking was the last thing I wanted to do, but her tone was a warning not to argue.

I followed them outside, leaving my stepbrothers alone in the kitchen. I expected Peter to wait behind with his sons, but he didn't. I watched Peter and my Dad share an awkward glance before they led the way to the garden. My Mom dropped behind, ensuring I was following closely behind them.

I reluctantly forced myself to follow after them. I wanted to just turn back inside and go upstairs, but I knew from the look my Mom was giving me that I didn't have a choice. I glanced back at Tommy, giving him a small smile. Tommy gave me a small encouraging nod, his crystal blue eyes speaking volumes.

"Right, I think we can now have a serious conversation." My Mom said, folding her arms over her chest and then looking at me with one of her eyebrows raised.

"What is this about?" I asked, glancing between all three of them with uncertainty.

I watched my parents look to each other whilst Peter just looked at them reluctantly. For the first time ever, I was observing Peter with his jaw clenched and a stiff disposition.

"This is about you Charlotte." My Mom started. "We need to discuss what happens from here."

"What happens?" I repeated, looking between my parents unsurely.

"Yes." My Dad said, "Sweetheart, me and you Mum have been talking."

"That's a first." I scoffed, folding my arms across my chest and looking at them with something close to amusement.